1395 Lexington Avenue
Provide leadership and strategic direction for 92Y’s School of Dance which offers a range of dance classes for children from beginning to pre-professional level, ages pre-K through high school, and a wide variety of genres to adults of all ages and levels. The Director will be accountable for the fiscal success of 92Y’s School of Dance and will oversee the continual development and implementation of engaging and innovative dance instruction programs, for children and adults. Additionally, the Director will manage a full time program manager, a part time school administrator, faculty members and strategic partnerships to make the dance school programs successful financially and artistically.
- Responsible for the management of 92Y’s dance school with full budgetary accountability for enrollment and revenue generation for all classes, as well as artistic and educational vision quality development and management.
- Accountable for developing innovative dance teaching curricula for children’s programs and aligning pedagogy with the best practices articulated by Dance Education Laboratory (DEL) model.
- Responsibility for recruiting, leading, motivating and performance management of Program Manager, School Administrator and part-time faculty and staff.
- Responsible for setting policy and standards regarding the interaction between dance center students, parents, faculty, staff and 92Y administration.
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships with other educational, community-based and arts organizations, businesses and corporations.
- Working with the Marketing and Public Relations teams develop strategies to promote the dance school.
- Collaborate with other dance department staff and Musical Theater Director on integration and cross-promotion of programming.
- Accountability for creating a safe, efficient, supportive educational environment for faculty and students.
- Conduct scholarship auditions and manage appropriate Recanati-Kaplan Merit Scholarships and Harkness Ballet Scholarships.
- Working with other 92Y departments, including Musical Theater, School of Music, NOAR Afterschool Program, 92Y’s Parenting Center and May Center for Health and Fitness, to coordinate scheduling and encourage enrollment and participation in dance lessons.
- Function as the main program contact with 92Y Educational Outreach Program in relation to dance classes and programs in the public schools.
- Develop and teach classes as required by the dance school
- May be assigned other tasks and duties reasonably related to their job responsibilities.
Education, skills and experience:
- Bachelors degree in dance or dance education; Dance Education Laboratory Certificate
- A minimum 6 years management experience within a successful dance school / dance education organization.
- A minimum 6 years relevant teaching experience.
- An existing active network and strong working relationships with members of the professional dance and dance education communities is essential.
- Proven effective leadership skills with the ability to engage and inspire team members to consistently strive to meet challenging goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills accompanied by a strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated project management experience with the proven ability to manage balance and meet multiple deadlines and manage student productions, staff and budgets.
- Expertise in early childhood dance education a plus.
Minimum Education Required