Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and excellent benefits package.
The Center for Court Innovation is a non-profit organization that works to create a more effective and humane justice system by performing original research and helping launch reforms around the world. The Center creates operating projects that have been documented to improve public safety and reduce the use of jail and prison. Nationally and internationally, the Center performs original research on topics of justice reform and provides consulting services to criminal justice innovators.
The Center operates four Save Our Streets (S.O.S.) sites, two in the South Bronx and two in Brooklyn. S.O.S. is a replication of the Chicago Project for Violence Prevention’s evidence-based Cure Violence program, a cutting-edge gun violence prevention model that aims to reduce and prevent shootings through the use of public health strategies.
S.O.S. Bronx is seeking 2 full-time Outreach Worker for the Save Our Streets Bronx Program. Reporting to the Outreach Worker Supervisor, the Outreach Worker will work individually and as a team to prevent neighborhood shootings and killings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Identify and form relationships with individuals who are at high risk of involvement in shootings and killings to help them rethink the impulse to act violently and redirect their lives in more positive directions
· Build a caseload of 10 to 15 high-risk participants, and develop and implement a personalized risk reduction plan with each participant.
· Work with community partners and the rest of the S.O.S. team to identify and diffuse “hot spots” for shootings and violence
· Intervene in local conflicts to try to prevent an outbreak of violence, and work to prevent retaliations when violence does occur
· Conduct outreach to the community (individually and as a team member) to build strong relationships with youth, residents, businesses, and community groups
· Participate in canvassing, organizing responses to shootings and increasing visibility when shootings/killings take place in the target area
· Report to the Outreach Supervisor and keep them informed of all relevant community activities
· Document all work including shootings and other acts of violence prevented, case notes, referrals, contacts with participants, and changes in participant’s status as directed by the Outreach Supervisor and Administrative Director.
· Refer participants (as needed) to programs that are a part of the New York City “Crisis Management System” including therapeutic services, legal services, and employment services
· Attend and help facilitate and plan community and participant events
· Attend, participate and complete all program trainings
· Attend and participate in all S.O.S. Bronx and Center for Innovation trainings, meetings, workshops and conferences as required and assigned by supervisors.
· Attend weekly supervision and keep Outreach Worker Supervisor informed of all work-related activities
· Provide clients with support and linkages to programs and opportunities in the community (e.g., job programs, GED, drug treatment, and mentoring).
· Co-facilitate workshops and make presentations in secure detention centers and schools as needed
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Individuals who are formerly incarcerated or have other experience in the criminal justice system are particularly invited to apply.
· Associates Degree (or higher) in human services field or equivalent and satisfactory experience preferred;
· An in-depth knowledge of the South Bronx Mott Haven and Morrisania catchment area, with particular focus on Morrisania: Forest and McKinley Houses and Mott Haven: Adams, St. Mary’s, Moore and Betances Houses is highly preferred;
· Reside within and are familiar with the South Bronx area preferred;
· Experience and knowledge of at-risk youth and gang involvement, with a commitment to stopping violence and working towards positive community change;
· Knowledge of street sets, crews, gangs and or groups;
· The ability to communicate with and build positive relationships with high-risk youth;
· Comfort managing a large number of diverse tasks;
· Able to walk 30 blocks or more on a regular basis;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
· Able to pass drug screening;
· The ability to use a computer and Microsoft Office required;
- Strong team skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that include late nights, weekends and holidays;
Position Type: Full Time (MUST be able to work a flexible schedule of late nights, over-nights, holidays and weekends.)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply: Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must put: Save Our Streets Bronx - Outreach Worker in the subject line.
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.