The Business Manager is responsible for the accurate and compliant oversight and management of all aspects of financial administration, including bookkeeping. This position works closely with the staff, Executive Director, Finance Committee, and BOD as needed.
FLSA Classification: This position is non-exempt and part time. (20-25 hrs per week)
Responsibilities: Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Business Manager’s responsibilities include the following and other duties as assigned.
Financial accounting, systems, and controls
- Record and maintain financial records using Quickbooks software:
- Complete all aspects of A/R and A/P, reconcile multiple bank accounts, research and correct account discrepancies, prepare period-end journal entries. Monthly import and reconciliation of merchant account and credit card transactions. Maintain prepaid expense proof.
- Maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures, responsibility for controls over accounting transactions.
- Establish or recommend accounting procedures and in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain records for fixed assets, recording acquisition, disposition and depreciation costs.
- Keep current with state and federal regulations, tax, and accounting issues to ensure organizational compliance and best practices.
- Proactively anticipate and adapt systems, processes, and controls as the organization’s budget and staff grows.
- Reconcile accounting records to CiviCRM (constituent relationship management software)
- Review and process bi-weekly payroll using outside service:\
- Maintain excel timesheets and leave tracking system, prepare payroll journal entries, maintain related files. Track all 1099 payments and report as needed.
- Maintain all payroll, 1099, W2, W9 records in accordance with best practices.
Budgeting, Planning and Reporting Processes
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets with input from staff, Executive Director, and Finance Committee.
- Provide ongoing advice and guidance related to financial decisions based on budgeted and forecasted expenses, revenue, assets, and cash flow analysis.
- Coordinate and oversee development of all grant budgets, on-going reporting requirements in partnership with ED and Grants Manager.
- Prepare monthly financial report to effectively communicate the organization’s financial position to Finance Committee.
- Prepare financial reports for funders as needed.
- Prepare for, coordinate and oversee organizational audit and 990 (To be handed off to Independent Auditor).
- Complete annual charitable registration, property tax return, 5500 annual return, and quarterly sales tax returns.
- Maintain all HR files according to best practices.
- Review employee benefits and solicit quotes as needed.
- Maintain updates to employee handbook and assist with development of new policies.
- Maintain general supplies list and purchase supplies as needed, call service providers as needed.
- Maintain contracts and renewal dates - merchant services, trash and recycling, payroll services, propane, porta-potty, audit, internet services.
- Strong understanding of and experience in nonprofit accounting
- Financial management software experience (QuickBooks or similar)
- CRM experience (CiviCRM or similar)
- Grants-management experience
- Outstanding detail orientation and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter capable of critical analysis and initiative
- Commitment to high-quality customer service
- Collaborative team player who is willing to go above and beyond the job description for the success of Red Wiggler and its participants.
- Command of Microsoft Office programs, specifically Excel & Word, Google Drive, and be generally comfortable with online management tools.