Organization Vision: uAspire imagines a day when all young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential by graduating from college, regardless of their families' financial resources or college experiences.
Organization Summary: uAspire is committed to ensuring that all young people have the financial information and resources necessary to achieve their dreams of higher education. uAspire provides college affordability advice to students and families; trains practitioners throughout the country in college affordability so that they in turn can better support their students; and works to change policy and systems at the local, state, and federal levels in an effort to change the college affordability landscape; all of which is focused on ensuring students can overcome the financial barriers to a postsecondary education.
Position Summary: The challenges of college affordability have never been more pronounced, and uAspire's expertise - built over 30 years of practice - has never been more needed across our sites and communities nationwide. While half of all students from high-income families earn a bachelor's degree by age 25, just 1 in 10 students from low-income families do. Cost is the major reason why students fail to complete a degree. In this environment, it is critical that uAspire continues to learn what works and what doesn't to better serve students. The Research and Evaluation Manager will play a key role in this learning process.
The Research and Evaluation Manager will collaborate with program and research staff to identify important programmatic questions and challenges, and then analyze data to develop actionable insights and solutions. To track its work and measure its impact, uAspire leverages a number of data sources, including student surveys, program data, and public and proprietary education datasets. The Manager will work on optimizing data collection and management, and improving the use of data in program monitoring. In addition, they will support program evaluations with leading education researchers, evaluation firms, and donors. This position is located at uAspire's Central Office in downtown Boston, and the Manager will report to the Director of Research and Evaluation.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience and a passion for answering hard questions with data, coupled with a desire to be part of a mission-driven organization. Ability to communicate about data with both technical and less-technically oriented program staff is essential, as is the ability to balance competing tasks efficiently while maintaining high attention to detail. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional who is looking to be part of a dynamic, highly data-driven and analytical organization.
Data Analysis and Dissemination
- Develop research questions and analysis plans to learn about impact of program innovations
- Analyze data from multiple sources and prepare analysis summaries and data visualizations
- Leverage publicly available education data and research to inform internal analysis and evaluation work
- Respond to internal and external data and analysis requests
- Lead improvement of resources and systems for reporting data and analysis to the marketing, fundraising, policy and leadership teams and external stakeholders
Data Management Systems
- Oversee processing of data and support data cleaning
- Identify and implement improvements in data collection, processing, and management
- Collaborate with the program and data teams to maintain high quality data processing and management systems
- Lead efforts to align and prioritize data collection and use for advising, monitoring, reporting and analysis purposes
- Design surveys, forms and other tools that help program staff understand student history and triage their needs
- Develop tools and trainings on the use of data for monitoring and strengthening quality of programming
- Improve capacity of program staff to use data in monitoring programs by delivering trainings and coaching
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree is a plus
- Knowledge of R or other programming languages for data manipulation, analysis and visualizations
- 2-3 years of previous experience in research and data analysis (prior experience in analysis relating to program or product improvement is a plus)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and interested in learning within a growing, entrepreneurial organization
- Belief in and adherence to uAspire's Organizational Values - Student-Centered, Excellent, Dedicated, Collaborative, and Systems-Focused
- High degree of professionalism, tact, initiative and diplomacy
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
uAspire is an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces and encourages applicants of every background. The company's policy regarding equal employment opportunity means that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, benefits, wage and salary administration, scheduling, disciplinary action and termination will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Minimum Education Required