Details: Commensurate with experience
136-19 41st Avenue
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications to join our team as a Community Organizer. This is a full-time, salaried position.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 as the Young Korean American Service & Education Center (YKASEC) to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents.
The Community Organizer would work in the Korean American, Asian American, and immigrant communities as part of the Civic Engagement Team to grow an informed, active base of community members who are fully engaged in the electoral process and in advocacy campaigns on issues such as comprehensive immigration reform, fairer allocation of city and state budgets, and housing rights.
The Community Organizer would have the following responsibilities:
- Organize various events and tactics for community outreach and engagement
- Coordinate regular member meetings, workshops, and other community-building and educational forums
- Help develop the leadership abilities of community members
- Engage in advocacy campaigns on issues such as comprehensive immigration reform and tenants’ rights
- Coordinate media activities that raise awareness through mainstream and ethnic press
- Represent the MinKwon Center in partnerships, coalition activities and other external relationships
- Interest and/or experience in working on social justice and immigrants’ rights issues
- Spoken fluency or proficiency in the Korean language
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Korean preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
John Park, Executive Director
NOTE: Make subject line of email “Application to Position: Community Organizer - [YOUR NAME]”