For over 30 years, Beatie Street Preschool and Kindergarten has offered Montessori-influenced, play-based, full day, year-round programming with project based academic content. We serve 15 students and their families. Families are diverse in composition, ethnicity, and economics, and share our values, including focus on outdoor play, nature, conservation, art, and social justice. Ours is a mixed age classroom serving children between 3 and 6 years. We foster a joyful, collaborative culture that values inclusivity, honesty, respect, positive social impact, and fun.
To nurture the next generation to be agents of change by supporting parents and children and building community power to foster social justice and advocacy.
Position Scope & Responsibilities:
We are looking to hire a warm, patient and dedicated preschool director who will live our mission and fuel passion in the children and our community to make a positive difference every day. He/she must have a strong command of positive discipline and the ability to develop age appropriate curriculum. Must enjoy nurturing, listening, guiding, and spending time with children. Job responsibilities include:
- Supervise, collaborate and implement lesson plans and activities appropriate to children's developmental levels and that is responsive to individual child’s needs
- Hire and supervise full-time and ancillary staff such as subs, hourly specialists (ex. music, Spanish, yoga) and volunteers
- Leads staff teamwork, meetings and trainings and works productively and cooperatively
- Evaluate learning and behavioral goals for each child
- Assign and divide areas of responsibility (language, math, science, art and crafts, pencil box, outdoor games, and so on) and include social justice/advocacy activities in curriculum (ex. collect UNICEF)
- Plan minimum of four multi-cultural celebrations and curriculum events e.g. philosophy night
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences in order to communicate progress on individual goals and set new goals in collaboration with the parents
- Plan and conduct field trips and liaise with parent volunteers for parent-led social events (camping trip, Halloween party)
- Manage physical spaces of the school e.g. classroom, communal areas and playground spaces
- Participate in Board meetings and conduct research and reports as needed
- Conduct yearly parents’ 501 c3 corporation ownership meeting in the fall
- Admissions (in conjunction with other teachers) – conduct tours, make admissions determinations
- Ensure staff and building are in compliance with all licensing requirements
- Facilities lead - schedule shared cleaning and sanitization; oversee facility repair requests
- Oversee/adjust COVID safety protocols in conjunction with the medical committee
- CA State Child Development Teacher, Site Supervisor or Director Permit
- At least 12 ECE (semester) units including core courses.
- Experience working with children in this age group
- Experience administering, management and oversight of educational environment
- Uses age appropriate, positive guidance techniques and models behavior for children
- Builds positive relationships with parents/guardians, respecting their cultural differences and provides regular and frequent communication.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with co-workers, parents and other professionals
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be honest, dependable, have a strong work ethic, and demonstrate a desire to advance in the field of early childhood development
- Must be able to pass fingerprinting, background check and health/TB screening. Must have current first aid certificate