Details: Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience- both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 1,300 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 700,000 students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
Here’s where you come in:
As the Program Director, you will manage the planning and implementation of Playworks’ comprehensive school-based play and youth development programming. In this position, you are responsible for managing the recruitment, staffing, performance, training and development of program staff and AmeriCorps Members, partnerships with schools and districts, grant compliance and evaluation, and initiatives that drive regional scaling and sustainability. This is a full-time, exempt position which reports directly to the regional Executive Director.
Specifically you will:
- Direct all elements of Playworks programming including program planning, implementation, training, evaluation and overall program quality
- Provide ongoing leadership, support and coaching to program team to ensure high program quality and strong school partnerships
- Develop and manage regional school district relationships that lead to long term system change and sustainability
- Manage and oversee AmeriCorps programming and grant compliance
- Oversee compliance with grants and funders including overseeing the collection of documentation and data tracking
- Work closely with the Regional Partnership Director to lead regional school partnership sales and growth strategy.
- Monitor program budget and accounting for program expenditures in collaboration with the regional Executive Director and the Regional Executive Officer
- Develop and manage regional volunteer strategy
- Oversee regional team’s implementation of all Playworks school-based programming and consultation models.
- Oversee all aspects of program staff, regional training staff and member training, professional development and performance management
- Develop and manage a robust recruitment, hiring and retention plan for all regional program positions with support from Human Resources and Impact Team.
- Jointly develop and implement a strategic sustainability plan as a member of the regional Leadership Team.
- Represent Playworks at regional events, district meetings and local partnership coalitions.
- Support regional funding initiatives and events.
- Work directly with national Impact Team team on organizational initiatives that support program quality and sustainability
If you're a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- Success in this position will require strong leadership skills with a background that includes demonstrated excellence in managing a complex program
- You will be successful if you possess excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to multi-task and meet aggressive deadlines with a track record as an entrepreneurial self-starter.
- Successful candidates will possess versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- The strongest candidate will have the demonstrated ability to maintain poise and demeanor appropriate to portray an image of professionalism as defined by Playworks and possess a documented history of successfully delivering compelling and effective presentations.
Required Skills & Experience
- 3 – 5 years successful supervisory and management experience
- Proven ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships internally and externally with strong interpersonal skills and cross-cultural proficiencies
- Strong computer skills, ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results and proficiency in Google applications and Salesforce
- Ability to thrive working both independently and within team settings
- High professional standards with the ability to drive strategies and manage practical details
- Volunteer support and training experience
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package - great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Executive Director and will be based in Detroit, MI.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.
- References will be requested.
Other things you need to know:
- This position may require travel to various regional locations.
- If a Playworks employee is required to drive a vehicle for work related purposes (not commuting purposes) the employee must complete an authorization form and provide us with evidence of valid, current driver's license and proof of liability/collision/property damage insurance with minimum coverage of $50,000 each accident/ $100,000 each occurrence.
- You must have outstanding communication skills-in addition to maintaining an open line of communication, you'll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.
A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts. Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please be sure to include a cover letter describing your interest in Playworks and how your experience has prepared you for this role.