Part Time Temporary
446 West 33rd Street
The part-time temporary Sous Chef will assist the Coordinator in the management of daily meal preparation and service of lunch & dinner. The Sous Chef will provide supervision and direction to volunteers and students in the Meals Program and monitor and manage dining room operation.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Supervise volunteers and students.
- Preparation of soups and sauces
- Preparation of daily vegetarian dish.
- Monitor and manage dining room operation
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in his/her work.
- Maintain and sharpen kitchen knives
- Create a welcoming and professional environment for all volunteers and students and embrace the value of volunteerism at GMHC
- Assist in special projects and perform other related duties as assigned by the Coordinator and Managing Director
Education and Certification
- High School Diploma or its educational equivalent
- Food Handler/ Safety Certification
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Must be able to lift 50+lbs and must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Minimum of two years of experience with food preparation with a food-service institution; understanding of food safety and sanitation; knowledge of soups and sauces
- Flexible work schedule. The standard Meals Program schedule is 12:00pm to 4:00pm Monday through Thursday and 5:00pm to 9:00pm on Fridays. This schedule is subject to change in accordance with holiday scheduling and agency activities/events.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
When applying, please include both cover letter and resume.
For other opportunities at GMHC, visit our careers site: http://www.gmhc.org/get-involved/careers.