3333 Wilshire Boulevard
BENEFITS STAFF ATTORNEY
The Alliance for Children’s Rights seeks a Benefits Program attorney to assist in securing funding to support children living in out-of-home care. This is a wonderful opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children living in foster care and poverty. Experience as a practicing attorney preferred. Experience with the foster care, Dependency Court and/or Child Welfare System is helpful but not mandatory. The person in this position reports to the Benefits Program Director.
OUR MISSION AND SERVICES
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is a non-profit legal services organization devoted to protecting the rights of abused and impoverished children in Los Angeles County. Our mission is to provide poor children, primarily in foster care, with free legal representation and appropriate social service referrals. Since its founding in 1992, the Alliance has helped nearly 150,000 children.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Representing caregivers in the administrative fair hearing process to secure public benefits.
- Analyzing public benefits issues that arise for children and caregivers in the child welfare system.
- Preparing case summaries and files for placement of cases with pro bono attorneys.
- Providing trainings and technical assistance to pro bono attorneys and firms.
- Helping to train and supervise volunteers and law clerks.
- Developing and updating benefits materials for clients, pro bono attorneys, and the community.
- Maintaining knowledge of current trends and policies in public benefits that affect children and families in the child welfare system.
- Conducting community outreach and trainings.
- Assisting with impact litigation and both local and statewide policy advocacy.
- Experience as a practicing attorney (or judicial clerk) preferred.
- Experience in the foster care, Dependency Court and/or child welfare system is helpful.
- Excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills - ability to communicate effectively with clients, attorneys, child welfare agencies, the judiciary and the public.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong desire to help others.
- Ability to manage a high-volume caseload.
- Experience with public benefits, administrative advocacy and/or public speaking helpful.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred.
Competitive salary and benefits. Submit cover letter and resume to Adam Cherensky, the Alliance for Children’s Rights, 3333 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 550, Los Angeles, CA 90010.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or medical condition.
Minimum Education Required