BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Publicity Manager is responsible for generating media awareness and interest in BAM’s events and artists as well as its institutional profile.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate and disseminate information about BAM’s programming to media outlets and maximize coverage of programming and events.
- Act as liaison to BAM Education and primary publicist for BAMkids, family programs.
- Maintain effective relationships with media contacts and cultivate new ones.
- Research, pitch, and generate media coverage for BAMkids and family programs
- Create press campaigns and pitch local and national print, web, tv, and radio outlets for assigned mainstage performances during BAM’s Next Wave Festival and Winter/Spring Season.
- Develop relationships with journalists from print, radio, TV, and the web in order to maximize coverage of BAM events. Identify new contacts/outlets to increase press exposure
- Consult with performing artists/companies (and sometimes with their own publicists) on press plans and availability of artists to do timely interviews in advance of BAM appearances
- Research, write, and secure internal/external approvals for materials including all press releases related to assigned engagements. Electronically disseminate press releases to media.
- Assist Communications and Marketing Departments with proofreading and editing materials.
- Proofread and edit house programs for assigned shows.
- Select and organize photos for assigned engagements and supply to press as requested.
- Liaise with press regarding ticket requests for assigned BAM engagements.
- Organize press tickets/seating locations for media at each assigned engagement, as well as assembling press kit materials for journalists.
- Develop an overarching knowledge of the BAM aesthetic. Stay current with programming of other performing arts institutions (attend performances, read press and brochures, etc.) Stay current with what BAM artists are creating at other venues. Work as necessary with other departments to help strategize in areas that may relate indirectly to press coverage, i.e. marketing content material, social media, archival exhibitions.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 3 years PR experience, at least 2 years as a publicist
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Positive working relationships with journalists and editors at print, online, TV, and radio outlets
- Extensive performing arts knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well under deadline with multiple projects
- Familiarity with and passion for BAM programming a plus
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must complete an online application, including both resume and cover letter, through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.