Elementary After-School Group Leader (East Harlem and South Bronx)
- Job posted by DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI)
1991 2nd Avenue
DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI), an award winning youth development program, is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to serve as Group Leaders in a comprehensive after-school program for grades K-5 in East Harlem, New York. DREAM’s REAL Kids program provides elementary school aged children with educational and recreational activities designed to foster a positive learning environment, build character and improve reading levels.
The ideal candidate will be able to join DREAM for the full commitment of after-school, which runs from mid-September through early June.
Like all DREAM employees, Group Leader should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Come join an organization that was recently recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times and as the winner of the Nonprofit Excellence Award – Silver Prize for Overall Management Excellence by the Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead a group of 18 youth in daily after school activities including sports, arts and literacy;
- Co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with co-Group Leader to plan & facilitate various recreational activities;
- Serve as an assistant teacher, helping to deliver reading activities in innovative literacy activities;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities;
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies;
- Participate in weekly professional development and tactical trainings in addition to a robust initial training institute.
- Minimum of 1 year working with groups of school-age children;
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Demonstrated ability to assist children in grades K-5 with homework;
- Passion to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for youth and staff;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Enrollment in, or two or more years of post-secondary education completed is preferred;
- NOTE: Knowledge of baseball/softball is helpful but not required
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 1:30-5:45pm. Tuesday and Thursday, 2:00 – 5:45.
- $14 per hour
- Mid-September 2017 - late May 2018
- *Potential to be offered summer program position from Mid-June – mid August 2018
Minimum Education Required