Alumni Engagement, Support & Advising 50%
Engagement & Support
- Management and updating of an alumni database within Salesforce.
- Strategically engaging our Alumni in programming
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Career Success in the engagement of the Alumni Committee in organizational events/ programming.
- Recruiting new alumni into the Alumni Committee and identifying best candidates to support the work of the Alumni Committee
- Identifying Alumni to participate in internal and external workshops, panels, discussions, and other invites where appropriate
- Pilot a 6-month Alumni Advising Program:
- Ongoing one-on-one academic and career coaching/advising with recent graduates on the following topics but is not limited to:
- Resume & interview skills
- Building networks
- Career growth/development
- Educational growth/development
- Provide occasional ongoing career advising for seasoned Alumni within the New Futures community of 300+ Alums when necessary.
Career Success Programming 35%
- Support and potentially co-develop, design, facilitate and implement comprehensive Career Success programming in partnership with the Career Success Program Manager aimed at providing career preparation, career exposure and career opportunities for Alumni who are pursuing all career fields. Programming includes but is not limited to:
- Career Preparation
- Host workshops and talks with and for our Alumni Community
- Support and collaborate with the Career Success team to ensure Alumni voices and needs are addressed within our Career Launch Series
- Support the facilitation and execution of our Career Launch Webinar series with the Career Success team
- Career Exposure and Opportunities
- Co-developing processes and structure to have Alumni apply to internships or job opportunities shared by our industry and Corporate Partners.
- Ensuring Alumni have access to job opportunities that become available through our partnerships with employers or other Alumni.
- Explore innovative new possibilities to provide Alumni career exposure and connects into their preferred industry.
- Co-develop, cultivate and manage partnerships with Corporate and Industry Partners to facilitate Career Success programming, internships, and job opportunities for Scholars and Alumni
- Act as the co-liaison with all Corporate and Industry Partners
- Host quarterly check-ins to keep us abreast of industry trends. (ex. twice a year / bi-yearly, call with their talent management staff to understand who they are looking for, or hiring demands in the industry)
- Connecting New Futures to industry resources and/or partners (especially those shared and recommended to us by Alumni) to help support the growth of each of our Career Pathways.
- Managing volunteers including actively engaging Corporate Partners’ employees in Career Success programming and exposing them to the New Futures (NF) program.
- Ongoing advocacy on the need to develop internship opportunities that Scholars + Alumni can tap into.
- Supporting the Assistant Director of Career Success in identifying new partners
- Co-research new partners yearly to broaden the network/ contacts of professionals for scholars and alumni to connect within the industry.
- Collaborate with Assistant Directors and Program Managers to evaluate and assess success and changes to programming, design, alumni engagement, and Corporate Partners.
Cross Program and Departmental Collaboration 15%
- Support Scholar Success program in facilitation of:
- Orientation, Ready Set Go Workshop, Scholars Weekend, Selection when necessary
- Support organizational events such as
- Scholar Award Dinner, Benefit and/or Graduation by serving on the committee or supporting program aspects of those events.
- Collaborate with the Development team in:
- Spotlighting success stories of our Alumni in efforts to amplify their voices and showcase the New Futures work.
- Engaging Alumni in Alumni Giving Program and/or fundraising strategies
- Support of all fundraising efforts including our annual and largest fundraising event, New Futures Benefit, including helping identify alumni to serve on our Benefit Committee.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Minimum education: Associate degree and 3-5 years of experience working with students in a relevant setting.
Student & Programming Experience:
- Experience working with and advising alumni, particularly those who have completed short-term credentials such as associate degrees and/or certifications.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse Scholar and Alumni community
- Ability to develop positive, authentic, and organic relationships with young professionals and partners.
- Some working knowledge and experience in navigating and cultivating employer partnerships.
- Interest and ability to understand and research workforce trends and the different paths within different career sectors.
- Experience with program development and executing high quality programming.
- Good leadership skills with the potential for further professional growth
- Unwavering commitment to equity and passion to disrupt systemic racism, including building a racial equity work culture
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong detail-orientation
- Ability to identify and solve problems with a “whatever it takes” attitude
- Eagerness to learn and improve, as well as enthusiasm for spearheading new projects
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration, including a willingness to pitch in as needed, while maintaining the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Extreme flexibility and adaptability, including a solutions-oriented approach to managing change
- Ability to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings/events
- Work-from-home during COVID-19 with an anticipated staggered re-entry to NF office in 2022
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in assisting or developing career exposure programs tailored to an alumni community.
- Experience developing new programs from conception through execution and evaluation
- Proficiency in Salesforce and Zoom
- Experience developing programming for virtual settings is a plus
- Fluency in Amharic and/or Spanish
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply
To apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to Jamila Williams, Assistant Director of Career Success, at Jamila@newfuturesdc.org.