The Marine Megafauna Foundation (MMF) is working closely with local communities within the Inhambane Province to inspire guardianship of Mozambique’s unique ocean, coastline and marine wildlife through research, education and conservation.
MMF is embarking on an exciting stage of growth and we are looking for a truly driven, passionate and experienced Programme Manager to drive forward our flagship Sustainable Seas marine conservation programme. Our marine conservation programme inspires ocean protection through improved local governance, community sensitisation and livelihood development. The Programme Manager will be responsible for providing sound technical advice on community-led marine resource management, and overseeing all aspects of project cycle management, staff capacity building, resource mobilisation and programme development.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with our ever-growing team of passionate and dedicated staff. You will receive appropriate support as required and will play an important role in contributing to our cause.
Reporting to: Mozambique Country Manager
Reporting Lines: Line management of Conservation Project Manager and Livelihoods Project Manager (Volunteer position) and matrix management of a Conservation Educator, MEAL officer. Management of Field Officers as and when required.
Budget responsibility: Yes
Location: Praia do Tofo (with travel)
● Over 5 years of relevant experience in project or programme management in the field of marine conservation, fisheries management, community development or a closely related field.
● University degree in a relevant discipline
● Proven experience managing multiple or complicated grants
● Experience managing staff and/or volunteers
● Experience working with local communities on development, conservation or resource management projects
● Proven success in programme monitoring, evaluation and learning
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Able to work effectively in a team across many different cultures
● Proven diplomacy skills, able to manage many different stakeholders
● Passionate and creative self-starter, able to take the initiative in a constantly changing environment
● Willing to travel regularly for work within the Inhambane Province
● Proficient in English
● A passion for conservation!
● Fluency in Portuguese
● Experience in marine conservation, fisheries management or livelihood development
● Sound knowledge of (social) media, awareness raising or advocacy campaigns
● Proven success in grant writing
● Valid driver license
Quality Programme Delivery
● Oversee the successful delivery of the Sustainable Seas programme, ensuring high quality programming and coordination between three community-based marine conservation projects running across 3-5 project locations
● Oversee the expansion of conservation projects into new communities, taking a community-led approach to ensure project success and attainment of long-term goals
● With support from the MEAL and Reporting Officer, develop a MEAL framework and ensure effective monitoring, evaluation, and learning across all projects
● Strengthen and maintain high levels of accountability towards communities, government and donors
● Coordinate closely with the Research Department and Education Department to improve and strengthen synergies.
Staff Management and Capacity Building:
● Manage and coordinate the work of the Conservation Project Manager, international volunteers. Support the management of Field Officers as and when required.
● Matrix manage the Marine Conservation Educator and the MEAL and Reporting Officer
● Coordinate the recruitment of new staff and volunteers
● Mentor and contribute to the capacity building of staff and volunteers, identifying learning opportunities and instilling a culture of learning and growth.
● Manage the conservation programme budget comprised of multiple grants.
● Develop budget forecasts for current and future projects.
● Work closely with the Finance Officer and Accountant to ensure sound fiscal accountability and protect against corruption, fraud or mismanagement of programme finances
Advocacy and Influencing (Inspiration)
● Work with media and communications colleagues to support the development of an effective influencing strategy for Mozambique
● Contribute content and ideas for the development and implementation of a media campaign on ocean protection targeted at the Mozambican audience
● Work with the Marine Conservation Educator to oversee the roll-out of training and sensitization tools for local Ocean Ambassadors and develop local advocacy and awareness raising initiatives
Strategic Development and Technical Advice
● Contribute to the ongoing development of MMF’s strategic vision and develop projects that further the strategic direction.
● Stay abreast of developments in the policy and legislative context related to marine conservation in Mozambique.
● Provide advice, training and guidance on community-based and participatory approaches and the establishment of locally managed marine areas (fisheries conservation zones) and/or livelihood development;
● Coordinate with the Research Department, to support the collection of relevant data to ensure evidence-based programming
● Actively take part in the Country Management Team to support organisational strategy and policy development, including human resources and operational issues.
● Regularly communicate programme objectives, goals and progress
● Stay abreast of donor financial requirements and reporting obligations, and produce regular donor reports in accordance with individual donor requirements
● Develop funding plans and support donor mapping
● Coordinate proposal development and draft grant applications, provide support with donor liaison.
Representation and Partnership Management
● Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders (community leaders, local businesses, government, conservation partners and donors)
● Represent MMF at workshops and conferences
● Support MMF day to day activities, such as assisting at conservation talks and public events
● Be part of building a flagship conservation programme
● Work with an extremely inspiring team from around the world
● Travel throughout Mozambique
● Accommodation, flights, visa costs, and living allowance covered
● Make a difference!
Additional Information The project requires you to commit for a minimum of 12 months and a trial period will apply. Candidates must also be able to provide their own laptop computers to work on.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Portuguese desirable.
Minimum Education Required