Senior Finance Manager, Program Finance Management Unit
- Job posted by International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
State of Mexico
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Senior Finance Manager to lead the Program Finance Management Unit. The Program Finance Management Unit is responsible to provide accurate and timely financial reports to donors, invoice to donors and to ensure accurate donor budgeting and grant financial management throughout the project lifecycle. In addition, the unit will provide timely response to donor led audits and institutional audits for expenses incurred by research grants.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Oversee/Leads the operations of the Program Finance Management Unit (PFMU), including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Supervise Project Accountants (analysts) responsible for project budget review, upload and financial donor reporting.
- Technical supervision (including performance management) of Program Finance Managers to ensure consistent application of project finance methodologies, tools and procedures.
- Maintain a system of policies, procedures and controls that ensure an adequate level of control/compliance over project/grant financial management activities.
- Work closely together with programs to ensure consistent application of finance policies and sound financial management practices in programs.
- In close cooperation with individual program finance managers roll out a comprehensive training on financial management (financial coaching) of projects/grants for Project leaders and scientists with budget responsibility. Use the LMS (learning management system) for a robust (on-demand) set of training material.
- Assist in the development and streamlining of automated systems and reporting tools to ensure efficient & accurate project and grant financial management and donor reporting, and accounts receivables.
- Work together closely with PPMGWG/PMU to develop efficient and effective procedures for budget preparation, budget upload in central financial system and financial donor reporting.
- Participating/representing in the PPMWG (program/project manager working group).
- Schedule monthly meetings with program finance managers to discuss requirements new grants, issues and corrective actions for ongoing grants and closure of projects.
- Develop/Maintain Participate in close cooperation with Program in the development of Project budgeting templates and other tools (e.g. checklists) to enhance the quality of donor budgets and financial reports.
- Validate budget proposals and final project budgets for consistency with donor agreement and full costing. Assist in the initial legal review of project agreements to assess if standard terms and conditions are satisfactory or if additional clauses are required in issues related to Finance; liaise with CIMMYT legal services as needed.
- Ensure timely upload of project budgets strictly based on signed donor agreements.
- Ensure accurate budget monitoring reports are available and actively busing used/reviewed through the Grant Database/Business Intelligence Site for all grant funded project codes.
- Review rationale and supporting documentation for reallocations of expenditure between projects and post in the financial system.
- Perform top down budget versus actuals review for grant funded project and highlight issues and suggest actions to Program Finance Managers.
- Oversee timely and accurate financial reporting to donors reconciled with central finance system.
- Provide Donor grant information as input for the Annual Financial Statements to the Global Accounting Manager.
- Implement and maintain solid Accounts Receivables Management: Issue invoices to donors and follow up donor related accounts receivable in coordination with Program Management Unit to ensure timely collection.
- In coordination with PMU, maintain accurate customer master data in the ERP.
- Coordinate grant audits as per grant agreement and donor request.
- Coordinate response to internal audits.
- Ensure timely closure in financial systems after acceptance by donor of final financial report and clearance of grant related balances.
- Maintain KPI Dashboard overview to review (amongst others):
o On time Donor Reporting.
o Donor Accounts Receivables (ageing).
o Reclassification of project expenses.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation is performed for general ledgers accounts under responsibility.
- Manage the financial related pipeline data in coordination with the program managers and program finance managers.
- Implement measures / controls to periodically review partner compliance.
- Assist donor related conventions and donor progress report meetings.
- Lead the Time recording/writing in projects.
- Manages the chapters in the Finance Policy relevant to project management.
- Maintain procedures to address FX-management for non-USD grants.
- Has overall responsibility in capacity building (finance/budgeting grant management) throughout organization.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Professional accreditation CPA/CMA or similar local accreditation is preferred.
- Between 7-10 years’ experience in an finance position with increasing levels of responsibility in a medium sized to large grant funded organization
- Minimum 3 years of experience in grant or project financial management
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in supervision of staff and leading medium to large group of staff under supervision.
- Knowledge and experience with ERP systems, preferably Microsoft Dynamics.
- Advance knowledge of MS Excel is required.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Certificate in Project management or willingness to achieve such certification.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Multi-cultural awareness, time management, problem solving, communication, teamwork, and customer service.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates must apply online to IRS18141 Senior Finance Manager, Program Finance Management Unit. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, November 30, 2018.
Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.