655 Beach Street
The American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) is seeking a seasoned, entrepreneurial, results-oriented individual to lead the Children’s Eye Foundation (CEF) through a phase of robust growth.
CEF’s goals are to eliminate vision loss in children and to support the mission of AAPOS through global philanthropic and educational initiatives.
Founded in 1970, the Children’s Eye Foundation is poised for significant growth. Over the course of the past year, The Children’s Eye Foundation has transitioned into the philanthropic arm of the leading professional organization of children’s eye medical experts. This affiliation presents incredible opportunity for the Foundation.
Working with leading pediatric ophthalmologists, their grateful patients and the public at large, this role is an incredible opportunity for a self-starter with big ideas and great relationship building skills.
The Executive Director of Development plans and manages the development and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program to raise funds for the support of priority programs in education, quality of care, research and service. As the Chief Fundraiser, the Executive Director of Development is responsible for setting fundraising goals in concert with the Board and creating and innovating to achieve those goals. Building productive working relationships with the AAPOS/CEF and Foundation Advisory Board (FAB) members, prominent leaders in the ophthalmic community, fundraising volunteers, prospects and donors will be a critical component of this individual’s success.
Key responsibilities include:
· Implementing a fundraising program to achieve the overall annual fundraising goal of the foundation
· Planning and implementing a variety of events to cultivate, inform, recognize and raise funds from current and prospective donors
· Ensuring donors are properly recognized and stewarded in a personalized and timely manner
· Promoting fundraising-related activities and program updates to encourage new, sustained and increased gifts
· Facilitating an approved expense budget for Children’s Eye Foundation programs, including grants to private and public foundations
· Initiating creative solutions as a foundation team leader and mentor
· Supporting the creation and facilitating the development of an annual Foundation budget
· Overseeing one staff person, with the potential to grow the team
- Fundraising: experience in establishing and executing comprehensive development programs to meet fiscal objectives and goals, including leadership ($100K) gifts, estate & planned giving, corporate and foundation and donor recognition/stewardship programs. Oversight and creations of plans for the execution of the annual giving ($25k), direct mail, events, online and personal solicitations
- Foundation Advisory Board Development: Experience in developing, motivating and managing a high-level, diverse and effective non-profit Advisory Board by recruiting top-performing individuals of high net worth and a shared sense of mission, including corporate CEOs, internationally recognized ophthalmic leaders, international businessmen and businesswomen and celebrities
- Program Development: capacity to identify opportunities and develop plans, policies and systems that will further the Foundation’s mission, create an environment that motivates staff and volunteers and facilitates the member/staff relationship to ensure member volunteers have a great sense of ownership and satisfaction, define relevant outcome measures and benchmarks for use in demonstrating progress, improving productivity and motivating donors and work with colleagues to increase the philanthropic fundability of AAPOS programs and initiatives
- Marketing/Public Relations: ability to distill and articulate complex issues and organizational vision to various audiences for different purposes and through a variety of media resulting in utilization of program services
- U.S. and Non-U.S. Healthcare, Education, Philanthropy and Public Service: working knowledge of how the U.S. healthcare system, especially ophthalmology, operates and the role of AAPOS within it, their effects on the public and patients and how to translate or apply this knowledge to programs (including public service) and funding proposals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong public speaker
- Ability to remain objective, focus on the big picture and progress; collaborative, empower others, diplomatic and candid; culturally sensitive; driven by a sense of mission and achievement
- Intuitive, strong listening skills, ability to discern, distill issues, excellent judgment, discrete and engenders respect
- Self-motivated, independent, willing to take risks, enjoys complexity and perseveres
- BA/BS required
- Minimum 6-7 years of development experience preferred
- Some travel required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply to: email@example.com