2101 N. Front St. Bldg 1
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
Become a force for nature and a healthy planet by joining the Pennsylvania Chapter’s Resilient Lands and Waters Conservation Team! This position will play an essential role in initiating and implementing land protection activities to conserve and maintain connectivity between the Central & Northern Appalachians for climate change adaptation. The Land Protection Specialist will reach out to willing landowners in the prioritized areas and develop new protection projects. The Specialist will work closely with local land trusts and other partners to identify best avenues of protection. The Specialist’s work with result in priority parcels within the resilient network moving towards permanent protection.
We are looking for a capable individual who will support the implementation of a strategy to accelerate the pace of land protection in the Kittatinny Ridge landscape. The Specialist develops and implements conservation strategies and employs a full range of protection tools to acquire varying degrees of legal interest in land and implements a variety of strategies to secure public and private support for TNC conservation priorities. The Specialist will work closely with project staff and partner organizations to assist with landowner and public outreach, perform site evaluations, and provide project oversight, management, and coordination. S/he is responsible for helping to implement the Conservancy’s land protection priorities, initially focused in the South-Central portion of the Kittatinny Ridge landscape. Key to this position is the desire and ability to initiate, establish, and maintain productive and respectful relationships with private landowners and public agencies. The ideal candidate will have a background and track record that includes:
· BA/BS degree in natural resources management, conservation, business, law or another related field of study and 3 years of related work experience in conservation, real estate or other related experience.
· Experience managing staff, contractors or volunteers.
· Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners, i.e., media, government officials, internal scientists.
· Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
· Experience with communication via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
· Experience using common software applications such as Word, Excel, web browsers, etc.
· Must have valid driver's license.
· Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated
· 3-5 years’ experience in natural resource management, conservation, real estate, or similar field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience initiating and managing real estate transactions.
· Experience conducting outreach to private landowners.
· Ability to effectively manage multiple projects at the same time.
· Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide activities.
· Experience with principles of land and water protection, management, and restoration.
· Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
· Experience using Geographic Information Systems
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit www.nature.org/careers and search for job ID#46739 in the keyword search. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EST Thursday, August 23rd, 2018. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.