200 Lake Road
Reporting to the Collections Manager, the Collections Assistant provides support in the general stewardship of the collections at Kykuit, the historic Rockefeller family home in Tarrytown, New York. Under the direction of the Collections Manager, s/he monitors the care and maintenance of the fine and decorative arts within Kykuit, its gardens, the Coach Barn, the Playhouse, and assembled buildings. The Collections Assistant supports in monitoring and facilitating maintenance, conservation and restoration projects. S/he coordinates and oversees photo shoots and gives special tours.
The incumbent will perform cataloguing, and administrative tasks related to inventory management and general collections management responsibilities. This is a part-time position with a weekly schedule of 18 hours. The position is based in Tarrytown, New York.
· Provide data entry and catalogue records into Re:Discovery Proficio, the National Trust’s specified database.
· Scan and enter photographs into the database.
· Affix numbers to objects in the collection.
· Maintain inventory, insurance records, photograph collections.
· Catalogue secondary collections at assembled buildings on the estate.
· Facilitate visits of conservators working on various aspects of the collection.
· Write and produce labels for the collections.
· Ensure that collections, signage, and installation/exhibition spaces are in proper condition for public tours (May-October).
· Assist with condition reporting as necessary.
· Process incoming and outgoing loans.
· Occasionally assist with the reorganizing and rehousing of collections in storage.
General Research and Writing Tasks
· Assist in researching and developing temporary exhibitions at Pocantico and the RBF’s NYC offices.
· Participate in periodic research that informs the writing of wall texts, labels, brochures or other publications.
· Occasionally research and respond to collection-related inquiries.
Guest Tours and Other Responsibilities
· Conduct special tours as requested.
· Provide overall administrative support including monthly financial reports.
· Assist with special events and programs, such as series of learning opportunities for the public.
· Perform other related duties as requested by the collections manager.
· Knowledge in the history of fine and decorative arts related to the collections
· Familiarity with best practices for object care and maintenance, and in monitoring, administering and assessing conservation and restoration projects.
· Familiarity with collections databases
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to be consistently diplomatic, tactful, and
professional, and to interact effectively with all levels of staff, guests, and other external parties.
· Administrative and general office skills. Particularly, strong knowledge of and ability to use computer technology to efficiently accomplish work, using e-mail, the Internet, database management software, and Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
· Basic documentary photography and post-production skills.
· Excellent written, verbal, analytical, and organizational skills. Ability to draft original correspondence.
Additionally, each employee is expected to:
· Understand and support the philanthropic mission of the RBF.
· Respect and value those who partner with or request assistance from the RBF.
· Manage the resources of the RBF in a manner that maximizes the funds available for charitable activity.
· Appreciate the value of diversity initiatives and equal opportunity in all work relationships.
Education, Experience & Knowledge
· Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum studies, or a related field, with three years of related experience. Advanced degree in a relevant field with two years related experience.
· Experience with the collections of an historic house. Art handling skills preferred.
· Computer skills/database experience required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Rockefeller Brothers Fund is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or religion. We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, a generous benefits package, and a pleasant work environment.
To apply, please send a letter explaining your interest in the position and qualifications along with a resume to email@example.com. Include ‘Collections Assistant’ on the subject line of your email. No telephone or fax inquiries please. Application deadline is October 5, 2018. For additional information please visit our website at www.rbf.org.
Rockefeller Brothers Fund
Attn: Human Resources - Collections Assistant
475 Riverside Drive, Suite 900
New York, NY 10115