Ohio Citizen Action
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) seeks an energetic Campaigns Organizer to assist in supporting and executing the organization’s strategic advocacy efforts. These campaigns currently include but are not limited to: work to de-carbonize the electricity sector, and promote clean and renewable energy in Ohio; lead OCA’s grassroots and community engagement efforts within the Power A Clean Future Ohio campaign; and represent the organization in local and statewide efforts to support utility shutoff moratoria, in particular during the pandemic.
The position, with other OCA staff members, helps represent OCA in key Ohio coalition meetings and committees; utilizes network opportunities and support within the RE-AMP Midwest Network; and works to effectively support the work that the field and phone canvasses conduct to educate the public and build collective action.
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) is the premier grassroots mobilizing and organizing team in the Midwest. OCA organizes and mobilizes people to advocate for public interests. In person, by phone, and online, we engage people in actions that protect public health, improve environmental quality, and benefit consumers.
Reporting directly to the Organizing Director, the Campaigns Organizer also works closely with the Membership Director, Field and Phone Canvass Directors, and Digital team to ensure that campaign strategy is consistently integrated throughout the organization. The Campaigns Organizer keeps each department up-to-date on campaign shifts in strategy, and provides briefing and campaign materials to each department to enhance campaign knowledge, understanding, and implementation.
The Campaigns Organizer works in coalition with local and statewide groups to build stronger, more inclusive campaigns and to expand community and campaign outreach efforts. The Campaigns Organizer spearheads projects that prioritize the voices of frontline communities—who are often communities of color and low-income communities—experiencing the worst effects of the climate crisis and unaffordable energy policies in Ohio.
· Prepare campaign materials for the website as well as the phone and field canvasses;
· Provide educational briefings and materials for the canvass staff;
· Work with digital team to utilize digital platforms as part of the campaign strategy, including calls to action via email and text;
· Work with canvass directors to effectively communicate campaigns both at the door and over the phone;
· Work with the digital team and canvass directors to implement campaign action steps as part of community outreach;
· Plan and execute actions such as rallies or town halls, and generally be the point person for such actions in coalition;
· Recruit members to come to important events and make their voices heard, such as at public hearings;
· Attend coalition meetings of local and statewide organizations;
· Assist the Organizing Director with departmental planning and task management, keeping her informed of efforts and actions;
· Represent the organizing team in meetings with other departments;
· Provide preliminary research on potential new campaigns, as requested;
· Coordinate community outreach in communities as needed that Ohio Citizen Action does not currently canvass with its field team;
· Conduct work in a manner that consistently aligns with OCA’s core values; and
· Other duties as assigned by the Organizing Director or Executive Director
Additional Preferred Skills and Knowledge
The Campaigns Organizer should share our strong commitment to integrating racial equity and social justice into all levels of our work, increasing and nurturing all forms of diversity in our movement, and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
The Campaigns Organizer position is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including vacation, paid sick days, healthcare, dental and vision. $30k firm.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references to Jessica Smith-Szabo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until March 1, 2021 for first review and interview; rolling applications will be accepted thereafter until position is filled. Should you have any questions, please email Jessica at the above email address.
Ohio Citizen Action
Ohio Citizen Action (OCA) seeks an energetic Campaigns Organizer to assist in supporting and executing the organization’s strategic advocacy efforts. These campaigns currently…