Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) celebrates its 35th Anniversary, we are looking for an energetic, passionate and detail-oriented English/Public Speaking Instructor who can help ensure that OBT continues to its annual and contractual High School Equivalency (HSE) attainment goals and to help propel New York City youth into their future career opportunities.
Reporting to the Director of Youth Programs, the English/Public Speaking Instructor will take the lead in teaching an English/Public Speaking curriculum that augments the existing HSE classes and provides contextualized instruction related to reading, writing, and communication skills needed in the workplace.
Who We Are and Where We Are Going:
OBT, a premier Workforce Development organization in NYC, is in the process of developing its next phase of growth, focused on expanding employment opportunities for our clients. Founded in 1983, we have established a proven track record as a strong community-based organization. We have assisted thousands of NYC opportunity youth and adults gain critical skills and obtain employment. As a leading Workforce Development training not-for-profit, OBT provides a training program that balances high accountability and high support, with the goal of developing self-sufficiency and providing access to quality career pathways. We are excited to continue to develop on our strong foundation and demonstrated success while meeting the challenges and opportunities of the modern workplace.
- Provide daily instruction in HSE English with a focus on skills needed to succeed in the workplace;
- Provide weekly instruction in Public Speaking and Communications to trainees enrolled in the OSY program;
- Create and submit an effective HSE Reading curriculum with lesson plans that address such areas as: identifying main idea; analyzing relationships with text; interpreting words in context; examining text structure; assessing point of view; evaluating evidence; analyzing structure; introduction to short stories and fiction/non-fiction; while focusing on how reading skills are applied in the workplace
- Create and submit an effective HSE Writing curriculum with lesson plans that address such issues as: grammar; parts of speech; sentence structure; building evidence based arguments; while focusing on how writing skills are applied in the workplace
- Update and augment both English curriculums on a regular basis to ensure that the lessons are responsive to the needs of the individual trainees; reflect current trends in HSE preparation; are relevant to today’s workplace; address a range of learner levels; and respond to different learning styles by integrating multimedia activities into daily instruction
- Assist in administering and grading HSE predictors;
- Assist the math instructor in entering ORT scores – both in-house and from the hub – into Salesforce;
- Administer TABE 10 reading post-testing to ensure significant gains enter scores into Salesforce;
- Maintain the English classroom and take responsibility for creating an inclusive, safe, classroom learning environment that reflects the mission of OBT and the goals of the English curriculum and the overall program and is conducive to the learning environment;
- Coordinate instruction with other instructors to ensure curriculum integration that enhances the learning experience and reflects a simulated work environment;
- Develop and implement effective testing mechanisms designed to measure trainee progress as it relates to the English curriculum;
- Assist in the coordination, preparation, and execution of Public Speaking Day in an effort to highlight, promote, and reinforce the principles and mission of OBT;
- Assist in coordinating, announcing and judging the Essay Contest;
- Provide ongoing feedback on trainees’ progress and report on such progress to other program staff and administration including participation in weekly staff meetings and the timely submission of monthly case notes into internal and external databases and weekly class summaries;
- Maintain case files of sample assignments/projects/tests for each trainee;
- Participate in relevant professional development activities both in-house and off-site;
- Enforce all OBT trainee rules consistent with standard OBT policies and procedures;
- Assist with any relevant reporting as required by contracts;
- Assist with community outreach and program promotional activities;
- Assist in the intake of applicants including conducting interviews and TABE testing;
- Assist with other programs and/or other sites, as needed; and
- Perform all other appropriate duties assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two years of relevant experience or Associate’s Degree and four years of relevant experience
- Energetic, self-starter who thrives in fast-paced environment, with outstanding attention to detail.
- Must be willing to work as part of a team and be able to establish positive relationships with young adults from diverse background.
Why You Should Join Us:
- Competitive Salary and full benefits
- Challenging, fulfilling and fast-paced work environment
- Company events and outings (ongoing professional development; coaching, staff retreats)
- Passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s youth and adult communities
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply go to https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA Enter Position code IM3V6 when prompted.