XQ’s mission is to fuel, inspire and catalyze America’s collective creativity in order to transform our high schools so every student can succeed. XQ: The Super School Project launched in September 2015 as an open call to rethink and design the American high school. More than 10,000 students, educators, parents and community leaders from all 50 states and representing nearly 4,000 communities answered this call by proposing innovative, student-centered models for 21st century learning. To date, XQ has pledged $115 million to a growing number of the most promising ideas, actively supporting these teams on their journeys to become Super Schools.
To meet its ambitious goals, XQ Super Schools is looking for a Managing Editor (“Editor”) to join our team.
We are seeking a skilled managing editor to oversee the publishing and product development operations of XQ Institute, a nonprofit organization that seeks to fuel, inspire, and catalyze America’s collective creativity to transform high schools so every student succeeds. Toward that goal, we create and share free, open-source tools and resources to help educators, students, families, and concerned citizens contribute to and advocate for reimagining high schools in their communities.The managing editor will report to the chief education content strategy officer, and responsibilities will include supervising writers, editors, and other staff; collaborating on story and product development; and coordinating with education, design, and communications staff and partners to ensure efficient production and dissemination of print and digital products. As managing editor, you will combine the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. You will bring a strong understanding of print publications and digital platforms and an ability to work inventively across both. We expect excellent organizational and leaderships skills, as well as problem-solving ability.
· Create and maintain a master editorial calendar; plan and manage daily editorial and writing operations for a range of products designed for both education audiences and the general public
· Hire, coach, and supervise in-house and consultant writers and editorial personnel
· Contribute to the development of editorial priorities and strategy, working closely with the Chief Education Content Strategy Officer
· Develop workplans and maintain deadlines for writers, editorial staff, and partners
· Support and coordinate work by education, design, and communications staff and partners for timely and efficient development, production, and dissemination of print and digital products
· Oversee all editorial functions, including copy editing and proofreading; write and edit fluent, flawless, highly accessible copy, as needed
· Assure consistency in style and tone of all print and digital publications and products
· Work with the entire XQ team to advance our mission to transform American high schools
· Five years’ experience and proven effectiveness in a managing editor or relevant role
· Exceptional copywriting and editing ability
· Working knowledge of online platforms and SEO concepts
· Capacity to supervise personnel and to plan and coordinate complex operations
· Excellent organizational and leadership skills
· Reliability and efficiency
· Flexibility and ability to work fluidly across teams and with people in a variety of roles
· Unwavering attention to detail
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
· Experience in the education sector strongly preferred
XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
When applying online, please provide a cover letter.