The Baltimore City Domestic Law Unit of the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau announces a full-time staff attorney position for qualified applicants.
Duties: Handle all functions related to casework in the practice area of family law, from initial intake through representation of clients in all relevant courts and proceedings. Individual cases will involve but may not necessarily be limited to issues of divorce, child custody, third-party custody, de facto parentage, visitation, domestic violence, protective orders, and child support. Staff attorneys may be expected to work with other attorneys, law graduates, law clerks, legal assistants, paralegals, social workers, and students on cases or projects. They must maintain all case files in accordance with Bureau standards. They will participate in community outreach and education, which will include collaborations with other attorneys at community outreach sites with the goal of identifying clients who need representation in court. Tasks assigned to staff attorneys may include any or all of but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Screen clients for eligibility and make referrals, as appropriate.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Conduct factual investigation and analysis as well as legal research.
- Advise clients of results of investigation and research and counsel clients regarding their options.
- Draft pleadings to include complaints, answers, counter-complaints, etc.
- Draft memoranda of law, briefs, etc.
- Develop case theory and strategy for the representation of clients.
- Prepare cases and represent clients during negotiations and in hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Work with various community groups and accept speaking engagements as assigned by supervisors and chiefs.
- Continue professional development and education through attendance at trainings and other programs sponsored by the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau.
- Act as a liaison between clients and private attorney involvement (PAI) programs.
- Maintain case records for clients in the LegalServer case management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Qualifications: Admitted to practice in the State of Maryland, or admitted in another jurisdiction. Graduate of an ABA-approved law school and eligible for admission in the State of Maryland. Out-of-State attorneys must be able and available to take next scheduled bar exam following the initial date of employment. Knowledge of domestic law and ability to effectively manage a challenging caseload. Familiarity with case management software and Office 365. Spanish language proficiency desirable.
Apply online at https://mdlab.org/careers/ or copy this URL https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=9156664a-1a51-4897-90b5-51213a0ce138&jobId=262510&lang=en_US&source=CC4&ccId=1997542647_11688 or click here.
Group Life, Health, Dental, 401(k)
Minimum Education Required