Civil Practice Staff Attorney-Housing Unit (Staten Island)
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice has experienced and entry-level Staff Attorney positions available in the Housing Unit. The Housing Unit handles a broad range of individual tenant representation at the trial and appellate levels, including holdovers, nonpayment proceedings, administrative hearings, and affirmative litigation in State and Federal courts.
* Client representation in City, State and Federal court proceedings, administrative hearings, and affirmative litigation
* Client representation and advocacy with local, State, and Federal agencies
* Represent the Civil Practice and Legal Aid in the community
* Promote the work of the office, the Housing Unit, and the Civil Practice
* Maintain a full caseload
* Work with pro bono lawyers and partner organizations
* Conduct regular courthouse-based and off-site intake, including during evening hours
* Other duties as assigned
Staten Island - Civil Practice Neighborhood Office
* Admission to NYS bar. Law Graduates who have pending applications for NYS bar admission or are sitting for the first scheduled NYS bar exam following applicant's law school graduation will be considered.
* Excellent written and oral advocacy skills
* Excellent organizational skills
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and manage a high volume of cases
* Demonstrated commitment to and experience in public interest law and civil legal services
* Ability to coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required