500 19th Street
Title: Marketing & Outreach Manager
Supervisor: Susan Tenner, Executive Director
Organization: The Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School (BUGS), is a small, community-based charter middle school that opened August of 2013 and is committed to the study of sustainability and education of the whole child. It serves the children and families of District 15 and beyond - with approximately 300, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders from highly diverse backgrounds. To learn more about the school, please visit our website at www.BUGSbrooklyn.org.
The Marketing & Outreach Manager is a member of the school’s non-instructional team, reporting directly to the Executive Director (ED) and in partnership with various staff, to coordinate the school’s marketing, outreach, and communications. The focus of the position is to coordinate BUGS’s message and design and implement a marketing strategy that focuses on
- student recruitment,
- staff recruitment,
- fundraising, and
- general PR and community awareness
BUGS is seeking candidates that reflect the diversity of our school and who have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong marketing experience with a variety of marketing venues and strategies, strategic vision for outreach, ability to make personal connections, and attention to detail.
- Commitment to the BUGS vision, mission, and strategic direction.
- Interest in environmental sustainability
- Comfort and interpersonal skills working with a range of stakeholders (parents, community contacts, funders, middle-school aged children and their families, and academic and operational staff) in a highly dynamic school environment.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), relationship-building, organization and planning skills, and strong commitment to follow-through.
- Excellent writing/design skills for new or adapted newsletters, flyers, press releases, etc. Basic mini-video production experience a plus.
- Maturity and genuine interest in connecting with a range of current/prospective parents, elementary schools and CBOs, staff, and donors.
- A patience and humor for middle schoolers and their hard work in adolescence.
- Experience with essential social media platforms, minor ad design, web development and communication systems (e.g. Photoshop, Constant Contact, MailChimp, EZTexting).
- Experience with careful and efficient data management, e.g. Salesforce, is a plus.
- Experience with LinkedIn for employers and other possible teacher recruitment platforms.
- Spanish or Mandarin/Cantonese language proficiency (written and verbal) is a plus.
- Experience in schools, or as a middle school parent, is a plus.
- Ability to drive and manage multiple projects (event planning, outreach materials, communication drafts, application details, sometimes proposals) of varying levels of complexity and timeline, stay calm under pressure, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Attention to detail for accurate student and staff recruitment paperwork, board meeting materials preparation, and highly professional external communications.
- A “can do” attitude and enthusiasm to be a hard-working, team player.
- REQUIRED: BA minimum and at least 1 year of related experience in marketing, development and/or communications. Must also be highly proficient in using Macs, Microsoft office, G Suite for Education, and various social media sites.
Work closely with the supervisor (the Executive Director), in collaboration with the Operations Manager with the entire BUGS team and parent community, to do the following (including but not limited to):
Outreach & Student Recruitment
- Ongoing refinement of our strategic outreach plan with the ED, and be the organized driver of that plan;
- Manage (and document) student recruitment efforts: Develop relationships and communications with “feeder” schools, community based organizations, and other sources of recruitment; Track all efforts for State compliance and self organization.
- Plan, coordinate and execute Middle School Fairs attendance at surrounding districts or others as determined to be effective;
- Manage student recruitment events: Coordinate BUGS open houses, tours and community presentations (on site and off site at district events and fairs) in collaboration with the ED, Principal, Parent Coordinator, PTA, Special Events Coordinator, and other operations staff as needed;
- Assist board with governing and nominating efforts as needed;
- Coordinate volunteers for outreach and other school needs.
- In coordination with the BUGS Operations Staff, provide logistical support, parent contact, and detailed record keeping during lottery prep and the post-lottery enrollment process.
- Coordinate with Senior Staff to ensure consistency of message and brand in all BUGS materials;
- Assist ED and Principal with PR, press opportunities, interviews and writing;
- Assist the ED with all phases of production of newsletters, funder, parent and external communications;
- Produce periodic Outreach outcome reports and tracking of efforts, as needed by staff, board and compliance agencies (charter authorizer, auditor etc.).
- Translate materials into Spanish and coordinate translation of other languages as needed for outreach materials and events.
- Assist Director of Operations with staff recruitment strategies and hiring efforts to ensure that message and brand is included message and materials;
- Screen applications and work with the Director of Operations to process candidates through writing process, interviews, references, etc.
- Assist in scheduling Staff Interview Days and assemble files for all parties, may include attending job fairs.
Fundraising (As needed)
- Assist with the implementation of the fundraising plan with the ED. The fundraising plan is shared by the staff, board and PTA and includes:
- Direct Appeals
- Grant Applications
- Foundation Appeals
- Fundraising Events
- Collaborate with the Fundraising Committees of the BUGS Board and the PTA to implement the fundraising plan;
- Research, develop and maintain donor database and tracking system (e.g. Salesforce) – record all gifts, communications, contact information, maintain records and progress against goal; coordinate acknowledgment of all gifts; create acknowledgment letters and pledge reminders as required;
- Research prospective donors and prepare detailed confidential reports;
- Research foundations and corporations and maintain an application timeline planner; prepare corporate and foundation proposals in collaboration with the ED and/or grant writer;
- Plan fundraising and outreach events in collaboration with the PTA, Board or BUGS staff.
Board Meeting Support
- Print Board documents for each School Year and assemble into Binder
- Create sign in/out sheets, post public monthly notices
- Board Meetings: prepare facility space, print materials in coordination with Executive Director & Board members, post Notice in advance, post approved minutes to website and all meeting documents to school server.
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm (1 hour lunch).
Or days or hours as established with Executive Director.
Attendance at some evening fundraising, school, or outreach events is required.
Start Date: October 1, 2018
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish or Mandarin/Cantonese language proficiency (written and verbal) is a plus.
Minimum Education Required