180 Grand Avenue
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The high level:
The Junior Accountant position is an important utility member of the Accounting team, and assists in the day-to-day delivery of the organization’s main accounting policies, procedures and contracts. Intermittently, the position’s secondary responsibilities include supporting other Accounting functions based on departmental needs. This position reports to the Revenue Accounting Manager, but works with every member of the accounting team. This is a great opportunity for a detail-oriented self-starter who is interested in a career in nonprofit accounting.
What you’ll do:
Perform accounting functions to support the Accounting team in the following areas:
- Accounts Receivable (~ 50%): Ensure the accurate and timely processing of payments and cash receipts against outstanding accounts receivables, which includes pledges, donations, tutoring fees from schools and government contract billing. Assist with month-end reconciliations and reporting related to billing and cash receipts. Perform customer maintenance in accounting system.
- Banking (~10%): This includes processing bank deposits, and making sure all deposits and payments reconcile to the bank statements
- Support to Other Accounting Functions (~40%)
- Payroll - Serves as the back-up to the Payroll Manager in managing the organization’s bi-weekly payroll process.
- Accounts Payable - This includes processing all national and regional invoices, following up with vendors and resolving discrepancies in a timely manner. Vendor maintenance in online expense processing system (Concur).
- Expense Report Processing - This includes verifying expenses are within the company guidelines and entering into the accounting system.
- Grants Billing & Reporting - Assist Grants accountant with Government grants reporting. This includes pulling timesheets for employees with billable hours and other billable expenses from online expense processing system..
Perform administrative functions to support the Accounting/Finance team.
- Update internal training guides and procedure manuals.
- Lead on vendor list management in online expense processing system, and client list management in enterprise accounting system.
- Assist with special projects and other administrative duties as needed.
How you’ll do it:
Accuracy & Attention to Detail
- Focus intently on both the bigger picture and smaller details to ensure accurate reports, files, records, etc. Demonstrate an ability to find seemingly small errors and correct them. Demonstrate a strong preference and/or aptitude for details.
Project & Time Management
- Demonstrate an ability to manage a variety of projects, deadlines and asks in a timely manner, managing up and across when necessary. Keep all stakeholders informed of project status. Have a strong drive toward goals and deadlines.
Relationship Development & Communications
- Establish relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including vendors and staff. Demonstrate an ability to communicate accounting concepts in an accessible way for all stakeholders. Produce high quality written and verbal communication.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Have a minimum of 1-3 years of related accounting/ bookkeeping experience
- Demonstrable experience with GAAP
- Excellent computer skills, MS Office skills including fluency in Microsoft Excel
- Have experience working with enterprise level accounting software.
- Are responsible, able to self-manage, and takes pride in your work
- Are detail-oriented and organized, with excellent follow-up/tracking skills.
- Are flexible and able to multitask
- Demonstrate an ability to interact effectively with diverse groups and cross-functionally
- Have a healthy sense of humor
- Demonstrate an ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Are proficient in the English language
- Hold US citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance
- Have experience working in a fast pace non-profit environment
- Are an advanced Microsoft Excel user
- Have experience working in a virtual team environment.
What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a non-exempt, full time position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Location: This position is located at Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA. No remote work options available.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and this particular role. Additionally, explain how your past experience has prepared you for this role, along with your salary needs.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.