Details: 20 $ per hour
6505 Avenue Somerled
Job Posting – parental leave replacement
About the NDG Food Depot
Founded in 1986, the Depot is a community-based non-profit organization that works collaboratively with its community to address the root causes of hunger and poverty in NDG and the surrounding areas in a manner that ensures dignity, community engagement and the development of human potential.
At the Depot, we offer programming to support the food security and healthy eating habits of youth, families and individuals. These activities include community meals, kitchen workshops, after-school programs, gardens and farmer’s markets.
We are currently looking to hire a creative and qualified Community Chef with a passion for knowledge sharing and good healthy food to head the food preparation, transformation and preservation for our community meal program. This is a contract position (parental leave replacement) for 5.5 months.
The Community Chef Position
The Community Chef will work with staff and volunteers to plan, cook and serve food for our community meals, and special events. Our twice-weekly free community meal reaches between 150-250 vulnerable people each day and occasional events serve between 30 and 100 people. .
- Creatively use purchased and donated foods to make well balanced, delicious and easily replicable meals for 200 people twice a week
- Ensure the consistency and excellence of meals produced according to the Depot’s guidelines
- Provide leadership, organization and planning for a team of staff and volunteers to prepare and serve nutritious food
- Organize kitchen training and operations to facilitate volunteer integration and learning
- Organize the kitchen to accommodate program needs, to ensure a proper rotation of food and to ensure and promote a safe, clean and healthy kitchen environment
- Contribute to the development, and evaluation of meal programs.
Specific skills and experience required:
- 2+ years of professional cooking experience
- Passion for education and knowledge sharing with a diversity of participants (youth, seniors, vulnerable individuals, etc.)
- Experience training and managing volunteers
- Capacity for collaborative teamwork and comfort in a dynamic community environment
- Creativity and flexibility with menus based on available foods (donations, seasonal, budgets)
- Adaptable to regularly changing environments, and able to accept and accommodate for error and imperfection
- Good communication skills in both English and French (please indicate your capacity in both English and French in your cover letter)
- Experience ordering food and managing inventory and a budget,
- MAPAQ certification an asset
- Passionate about good, healthy food for all
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to see big picture and plan for both immediate and long-term needs
- Comfortable working with and managing a team of volunteers with varying experience and capability
- Collaborative, yet self-motivated and independent
- Salary: $20/hr
- 28 hrs/week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday with the possibility of a few evening and/or Saturdays;
- Contract: begins the week of October 22nd, 2018 and ends in early April, 2019
Level of Language Proficiency
Good communication skills in both English and French (please indicate your capacity in both English and French in your cover letter)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please drop off or email a cover letter and your CV in a single document (either Word or PDF)
with the subject line “ Community Chef ” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate your capacity to communicate in English and French in your cover letter.Applications will be read as they are received, so we recommend that candidates submit as early as possible . Applications received after Sunday September 30, 2018 at midnight may not be considered.
TIPS FOR APPLYING! In your cover letter, we want to hear:
● Who you are and what your background is. The Depot is committed to creating a workplace as diverse as the communities we serve and thus strongly encourages applicants from our diverse communities and people who experience marginalization to self-identify in their cover letter.
● What you like about the Depot and why you want to work in this job. We want to make sure you understand our mission and our values. Tell us why you think this job is interesting and important.
● What your experience is. Have you worked in similar jobs or have you volunteered in similar programs before? Tell us what skills that you gained and how your experience would help you in this job. If there’s experience you don’t have, be honest and tell us how you hope to grow and learn.
● Be yourself! We want to hear your voice and enthusiasm!
Questions about the job or the application process?
Please contact Caitlin at email@example.com or 514-483-4680 x209