2913 Kensington Avenue
Prevention Point Philadelphia (PPP) is a multi-service public health organization dedicated to protecting the health and welfare of the homeless, drug users, sex workers, and the uninsured. Using a harm reduction approach, PPP offers culturally sensitive, non-judgmental services to address the health and social service needs of drug users and sex workers in Philadelphia. PPP meets people where they are, providing information and access to resources with dignity and respect. PPP promotes harm reduction through mobile medical care, sterile syringe exchange, referrals to social services, and comprehensive prevention case management services.
The Kitchen Coordinator will assist in the operation of PPP’s expanding housing and meal services programs. They will be responsible for preparing nightly meals for up to 80 residents of our emergency respite project and two weekly lunch meals for up to 150 participants in our drop-in center. These meals should be balanced, nutritious, and meet the dietary needs and restrictions of our participants. They will also work with organization leadership to establish and maintain food purchasing contracts with wholesalers and non-profits.
Additionally, the Kitchen Coordinator will work with the Housing Coordinator and Housing Case Manager to identify opportunities for respite residents to participate in meal planning and preparation. This will increase investment and engagement of residents in operation of respite as well as provide essential life and employment skills.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Create weekly meal plans
2) Prep nightly meals for up to 80 individuals and twice weekly lunches for up to 150 drop-in participants.
3) Work with leadership staff to manage food purchasing sources and contracts
4) Shopping at discount grocers and wholesalers as needed
5) Complete inventory sheets, order requests, and other paperwork as needed
6) Supervise and provide training for volunteer residents assisting in preparation of meals
7) Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Please note that this job may require working staggered, non-traditional hours including evenings.
· Ability to prepare healthy, balanced meals efficiently for large numbers of people.
· Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of people of different backgrounds
· Dynamic, creative, flexible, able to learn and adapt in a changing environment
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Valid and up-to-date ServSafe certification
· Valid driver’s license
· Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
· Knowledge and experience with communities impacted by homelessness, poverty, and/or substance use strongly preferred.
· This position includes the normal physical demands of a community-based program, including lifting/moving up to 50lbs, bending, and carrying. Other physical requirements include walking and standing for up to 2 hours at a time.
· This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Kitchen Coordinator as the subject. No calls will be taken for this position.