Part-Time Special Education Instructional Fellow, Relay Chicago
- Job posted by Relay Graduate School of Education
Start Date: ASAP
If you love coaching teachers, leading professional development, working on a team of experienced high-performing educators, and are hungry to further build your instructional leadership skillset, the Instructional Fellow role is right for you. In this role, you’ll be able to build relationships with graduate students and adapt our curriculum to meet their needs. Your responsibilities will be challenging and diverse.
During an average week, you can expect to do things like teach graduate students during evening classes, meet in-person with graduate students that need extra help, observe graduate students teaching in their K-12 classrooms, and grade assessments.
As a result of this effort, you’ll benefit from seeing teachers that you’ve worked with during the year grow as people and professionals. Plus, you’ll maximize your community impact by supporting teachers in generating significant, measurable student achievement gains in their K-12 classrooms. The Special Education Instructional Fellow will report to the Director of Special Education and closely collaborate with other faculty members.
To grow your own skills as a teacher coach and leader of adults, you will have the opportunity to participate in individual, team, and institution-wide professional development. You will also receive individualized coaching. We will support you in your development in the same way that you will support your graduate students.
WHAT YOU’LL TACKLE
- Provides a first audience and feedback for weekly instruction
- Aids in the facilitation of weeknight classes 1 night/ instructional week by orchestrating and supervising student practice and small-group work; providing tactical observation and feedback to graduate students; answering questions; assisting in activities; and running all logistical elements of class time
- Grades assessments, synthesizes performance data, tracks cohort progress and identifies gaps in graduate student understanding
- Observes graduate students in their K-12 classrooms at least three times a year as their primary source of practical evaluation and provides them with specific, actionable feedback around best teaching practices
- Provides graduate students with additional classroom support and observations as needed
- Holds routine office hours to support, help and provide guidance to graduate students
- Serves as the first responder and primary contact for graduate students, channeling only the most difficult questions to Assistant Professors or Dean
- Creates and maintains a positive work environment and sense of community with all graduate students
- Supports graduate students to successfully complete the edTPA
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
First and foremost, the Instructional Fellow must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, you must have the following:
- A Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Special Education
- At least five years’ experience teaching in a school serving high-needs community with demonstrated K-12 student achievement
- Deep knowledge of strategies for increasing outcomes for students with exceptional needs
- Strong understanding of teaching taxonomy and core pedagogy
- Leadership training and/or experience preferred
- Strong team orientation and collaborative nature
- Ability to work efficiently, independently and intensely in an entrepreneurial environment
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE
- Must be available during the day time (8 am to 4 pm) to conduct school observations.
- Faculty must have the ability to transport themselves to public schools across the city in order to conduct classroom observations.
- As part of our hiring process, we ask for candidates’ current manager as a final reference before an offer is extended.
- Faculty openings are contingent on graduate student enrollment numbers.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online: https://relay.edu/browse-jobs?gh_jid=1247902