Details: Salary range and benefits package: highly competitive.
Results for America is a not-for-profit organization focused on helping decision-makers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve our world's greatest challenges. To support local government decision-makers, our team at Results for America serves as the What Works Cities Campaign Manager. In this role, we are responsible for the success of the overall effort, including it’s long-term sustainability, scale, and impact. We ensure the effective operation of the initiative, including managing city relationships, coordinating What Works Cities partners and resources, leading What Works Cities Certification, and driving national communications and engagement around this work.
Initiative and Program Overview
What Works Cities is a Bloomberg Philanthropies initiative to improve local governments’ use of data and evidence to make government more effective and improve the quality of life for city residents. What Works Cities helps US cities better track and use information to run their government and make decisions about everything from economic development to public safety. We also help cities identify and implement innovative programs with promising approaches to solve their most critical challenges. We are leading a national movement to improve how cities are managed and how they deliver results for residents.
Our City Solutions program is an emerging effort within the What Works Cities initiative that builds on the work happening across the Bloomberg Cities Network. This program focuses on surfacing and spreading successful interventions across cities that are tackling urgent challenges within their communities, with the goal of improving the lives of more residents in more cities by scaling what works.
Results for America is seeking an entrepreneurial individual to help drive the development and management of the emerging City Solutions program within What Works Cities. This person will help design and implement the new program, with the goal of helping cities nationwide identify and adopt innovative and effective interventions in order to address their communities’ most pressing challenges. This person should have some familiarity with how local governments work, and will need to be comfortable working across a variety of policy and program areas, including early childhood education, homelessness, climate change, public safety, and civic engagement.
Position Reporting Relationship
This position will report to the Director, City Solutions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Helping design and launch a program to help other cities adopt ideas that have proven effective elsewhere, including:
- Identifying successful candidate programs and interventions
- Building a strategy to amplify the chosen interventions to a broad set of cities, both domestically and internationally
- Developing methods to incentivize action from cities to take up and effectively deploy these interventions
- Designing strategies and building resources and tools that will support cities in effectively implementing a chosen intervention in their communities
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the city solutions work once launched, including troubleshooting operational or programmatic challenges and refining the overall program
- Engaging with key stakeholders, including city leaders, Bloomberg Philanthropies’ partners, and other experts, to identify effective interventions to scale and to inform the program development broadly
- Regularly presenting on the progress of the program internally and to Bloomberg Philanthropies, and over time publicly share learnings and progress on this effort
- Testing and refining strategies for this innovative program, ensuring continuous improvement of the work
- Other tasks and projects as assigned and necessary
This is a full-time, exempt position based in New York, NY.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (required), graduate degree a plus
- A minimum of 8 years of work experience
- Experience working with local governments and familiarity with the government innovation space more broadly (preferred)
- Program and systems design experience (preferred)
- Proficient in data analysis
- Outstanding project management skills including strong capacity to manage and coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize among multiple tasks within a fast-paced initiative
- A demonstrated outcome-oriented approach to problem-solving, as well as strong interpersonal and strategic thinking skills
- Collaborative and flexible work style and ability to support a collegial workplace
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working in a startup environment, and building a new and innovative program within a growing national initiative
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently in a results-oriented workplace
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: “Associate Director, City Solutions – Your Name”. Please note that your cover letter should be no longer than one page and specifically detail your interest in this position.
Results for America is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our organization.