Program Associate, Community Engagement Fellows Program
1200 New York Avenue NW
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Program Associate to support the AAAS Community Engagement Fellows Program in our Washington, DC office. This individual will support efforts to increase collaboration and engagement within science via a series of activities to train, research and report on the emerging role of the scientific community engagement manager. Scientific community managers are leaders in professional associations, communities of practice and research collaborations who work to build teams and communities where members work effectively together.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as point of contact and coordinate travel and meeting logistics for the AAAS Community Engagement Fellowships Program
- Manage program’s social media presence and online resources, primarily focusing on Twitter and blog
- Assist with the development of case studies and other foundational programmatic materials
- Support the team in creating and delivering community engagement trainings
- Collate, review, and edit guest blog posts
- Write, curate, and edit the program’s newsletter and marketing communications around activities such as application deadlines, resource launches and more
- Contribute to online discussions hosted by CEFP focused specifically on community management and online communities including curating and synthesizing resources
- Assist with hosting alumni activities including webinars and in-person events
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Masters degree
- 2+ years’ experience in project management
- Prior teaching or facilitation experience in classroom or online environment a plus
- Strong command of community engagement fundamentals including content strategy, value creation and engagement tactics
- Excellent communication skills, especially in the online environment such as a blog and Twitter
- Scientific research experience
- Ability to work with scientists and non-scientists from a variety of backgrounds
- Experience with classroom facilitation and leading online webinars
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, and responsive
- Keen interest in scientific publishing and online tools for scientists
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by September 7, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required