10 City Square
Title: Development Officer for President’s Society
Reports to: Director of Development Operations
Location: Boston, MA
Position Overview: Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) is America's oldest conservation and recreation organization. We promote the enjoyment and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions from Maine to Washington, D.C. We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal, and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about, and appreciate the natural world.
The Development Officer for President’s Society (DOPS) is responsible for the management, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of the organization’s leadership giving society, the President’s Society. President’s Society members make gifts of $1,000 or more to the Annual Fund and have an outsized impact on the organization’s fiscal health and mission impact. AMC has ambitious plans for the growth of the President’s Society, which in 2017 comprised over 800 individuals contributing $2.6 million - or 70% - of the Annual Fund. Our goal is to grow the number of President’s Society members and revenue generated from this leadership giving group in support of our education, conservation and recreation mission.
The DOPS works to grow the overall number of Society members by retaining current members and recruiting new members. The Development Officer for President’s Society plays a coordinating role for the overall program, including: developing an engaging program of donor events throughout AMC’s region; collaborating with the major gifts and membership teams to recruit and upgrade President's Society members; managing a portfolio of mid-level donors; and managing President's Society donor records and histories. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate interested in developing rewarding, front-line relationships with donors while also exercising his/her project and program management skills. This full-time, associate-level position works as part of AMC’s development team, which raises over $10 million annually.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide input on and review all President’s Society direct mail and online fundraising solicitations to renew and upgrade current Society members, move new donors into the Society, and increase the total revenue from all Society members. Work with Director of Membership and Community Giving to provide ideas to help drive and refine solicitation strategy.
- Ensure appropriate personalization for Society members who are being solicited via direct mail and online fundraising, through coordination with Major Gifts team and Director of Development Operations. Prepare mail merge email and mailing lists for communications.
- Manage a portfolio of mid-level President's Society donors. Conceive and execute cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans for these donors. Meet established activity goals for visits, thank-you calls, and other personalized outreach to encourage retention and upgrades.
- Run, analyze and share monthly President’s Society reports. Use data to recommend and implement programmatic strategies to increase giving from and retention of donors and ensure annual revenue and membership goals are met. Provide metrics and reports for Major Gifts team relating to Mt. Washington ($10K) and above giving circles, to ensure officers are supported in meeting their revenue and recruitment goals for the Annual Fund. Keep eye out for and refer potential major gifts prospects from within the President’ Society to the Development Researcher for vetting and potential reassignment to Major Gifts team.
- Develop and implement a robust calendar of experiential, creative, educational, and fun events and outdoor adventures that engage and recruit new President's Society level donors.
- Manage fulfillment process for President’s Society benefits.
- Ensure accuracy in transactions, records and reporting for President’s Society within Salesforce, including for gifts, recognition levels, actions and reminders.
- Oversee gift processing, receipting, and acknowledgments for all President's Society and prospect gifts. Manage personalization of appropriate gift acknowledgments.
- Coordinate AMC’s Annual Fund volunteer group, the AMC Advocates. Manage assignments, recruitment, and training.
- Attend and participate in department meetings, providing updates on progress of Development programs. Participate in club-wide initiatives, such as staff meetings and retreats, task forces and promotional events as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications: The successful candidate will be an energetic and enthusiastic fundraising professional. The Development Officer for President’s Society will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic who is conscientious, attentive to detail and results-oriented. The ideal person will be a positive, collegial team player with a proven ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with donors, and motivate, engage and work collaboratively with volunteers, senior staff, colleagues and similar constituencies. Also needed is an ability to adroitly manage multiple tasks; plan, organize and communicate effectively; excellent oral and written communication skills; and experience coordinating events. Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment.
The ideal candidate’s qualifications would include:
- Three to five years of comparable and relevant experience with a strong fundraising background.
- Experience managing and growing the number of donors and revenue from a specific donor group or portfolio.
- Demonstrated success in developing positive, constructive relationships with a variety of people. Facility in working with donors in person, over the phone, and via email and mail.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and planning stewardship and cultivation events.
- Discretion and ability to work with confidential donor information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Accuracy and proficiency with donor databases, with the ability to learn and retain complex data entry and report procedures and systems. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to communicate AMC’s mission and programs with sincerity, persuasion and passion.
- Strong interest in outdoor recreation and a willingness to be trained in outdoor leadership skills. Interest in environmental/conservation, outdoor education, and policy issues a plus.
- This position requires 6-8 overnight trips annually, often to backcountry locations requiring ability to ski, snowshoe, or hike comfortably up to 7 miles in difficult terrain in all weather conditions, carrying loads of up to 20 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
Employee Benefits: AMC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. In addition to a 30% discount on all merchandise sold at AMC Destinations, access to various Pro Deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates and a one-year AMC membership, year-round employees are also eligible for...
- Group health plan with generous employer contribution.
- Group life and AD&D insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan with matching contributions.
- Paid vacation time, 20 days.
- Paid sick time, 10 days.
- Paid holidays, 13 days.
- 10 free nights for you and your immediately family members at AMC Destinations.
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues in the New England area via participation in a consortium of like institutions.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required