134 Golden Gate Avenue
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The Grants Accountant is a critical member of the Accounting team whose primary role is to monitor and prepare invoices and reports for public and private grants and contracts. The Grants Accountant prepares journal entries, ledger account reconciliations and schedules, and maintains and analyzes accounting records. The Grants Accountant will perform work to ensure compliance with Larkin Street Youth Service policies, generally accepted accounting principles, and internal control guidelines. The Grants Accountant may prepare key reports for public entities and work independently with outside vendors, subcontractors, public agencies, and internal staff in order to complete his/her responsibilities.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare and post journal entries
- Prepare invoices, primarily for public funding agencies
- Assist in preparation of organization external and internal financial statements
- Monitor private grant spending
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in development of annual operating and capital budgets
- Assist in preparation of budgets and cost reports for funding agencies and donors
- Lead components of the annual audit process
- Prepare tax and regulatory financial statements or reports
- Lead special projects and audits
· Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint and Outlook)
· Clear understanding of accounting principles, management accounting methods, government accounting policies, cost allocation procedures and internal control
· Knowledge of GAAP and FASB
· Ability to use experience and judgment to manage goals and projects
- Ability to be a self-starter with follow-through skills.
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelors in related field (finance, accounting, business) preferred.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Understanding of nonprofit accounting and experience with public funding contracts
- Nonprofit experience with MIP accounting software a plus, but not required.
Minimum Education Required