Role & Responsibilities
This short-term vacancy will lead on MEAL system design and implementation to enhance quality and accountability of Medair’s humanitarian programming in Afghanistan. The Advisor will be expected to improve the organisation of the MEAL department; strengthen existing MEAL strategy and protocols, ensuring they are institutionalised; mentor, train, and capacity build staff; and orientate the MEAL department to actively use and promote data for learning and decision-making in collaboration with operational teams and sector advisors.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996 and implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, health, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan.
Workplace & Conditions
Roving position based in Kabul with travel to all field locations in Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
April 2021. Full time, 3-4 months contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Coordinate the development of a sound and adapted-to-context MEAL strategy, operational guidance and action plan for their roll out. Utilize existing tools and the lessons learnt within the country and region.
- Gain understanding of the context, resources, current practices, strengths and weaknesses through the perspective of the different departments to produce outputs that have buy-in of those who will implement it.
- Identify innovations and improvements to enhance effectiveness of the Medair’s M&E framework and systems
- Review existing IM tools and processes to make sure that data reported is ultimately reliable & qualitative.
- Review and support development of accountability-related mechanisms and SOPs and support MEAL and programme teams in roll out of SOPs, including awareness raising on PSEA, harassment, and serious complaints.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Core Humanitarian Standards. With support from senior colleagues, work with sector technical specialists to ensure quality monitoring systems are set up to ensure adherence of programmes to minimum standards.
- Support the Programme teams in ensuring the review of MEAL plans for each project, as well as providing support to develop new log frames for new project proposals if applicable.
- Develop the Afghanistan programme’s capacity to undertake surveys and impact assessments.
- Develop training tools and provide MEAL training to the MEAL teams, and PMs – with a focus on SMART indicators, qualitative and quantitative collection and analysis of data, accountability principles & good practice.
- Lead roll-out of MEAL systems (such as quality checklists, output trackers, and accountability mechanisms).
- Support the planning, implementation, and follow-up of evaluations. Participate in evaluations where required.
- With support from other programme staff, identify MEAL activities procurement needs and coordinate with the logistics team to ensure materials arrive in good time.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development; develop direct reports and assist other managers to improve their knowledge, competence and performance.
- Provide on-the-job training and coaching to MEAL staff on project baseline, end-line including drafting of reports.
- Identify additional learning and training needs & opportunities for MEAL and programme staff.
- Reflect the vision & Medair’s values, especially when interacting with team members & provide leadership.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Finalize Medair Afghanistan Country MEAL strategy / framework and ensure that this is reflected in the Country Strategy and Sector Plans. Revision and creation of MEAL SOPs and other MEAL tools.
- Produce action plan for rolling out MEAL framework across field offices and begin the process if possible.
- Review MEAL staffing and provide recommendations for MEAL structure and MEAL budgeting needs.
- Provide mentoring & conduct on-the-job MEAL trainings for Medair MEAL and programme staff as per priorities.
- Support baseline and end-line surveys and conduct thorough analysis and produce timely reports.
- Support implementation of external project evaluation, sector Advisors and programme staff on project MEAL.
- Promote the Medair e-library, Box folders, ensuring that all standardised formats and guidelines are followed.
- Develop and implement systems to align MEAL with CHS, Donor, and other quality standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Economics, Political or Social Sciences, Statistical Analysis, International Development, or related field. Masters preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years relevant post-qualification MEAL experience, preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting.
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative survey methods, including survey development.
- Experience with R, SPSS, STATA, or other statistical software desirable.
- Experience with and knowledge of current approaches to MEAL in relief and development programs.
- Advanced planning and analytical skills, as well as good numerical and report writing skills.
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, coaching, and mentoring.
- Proven capacity for analysing and synthetizing comprehensive information and technical data.
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity.
- Ability to work on own initiative and collaboratively as part of a diverse team and manage a varied workload.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop, coach and support other team members.
- Problem solving ability and excellent communication skills.