Overview of Position: Our Director of Finance is an essential member of our staff and faculty. They manage the school's finances and ensure its fiscal health. As they manage the school’s finances, they demonstrate high levels of professionalism with all parties, excellent organization skills, consistency and reliability, and grace under pressure. In doing so, they fulfill a role that is critical to Unity in delivering on its mission.
Overview of Unity - Our Model and Approach: Unity Preparatory Charter School of Brooklyn (Unity) is a tuition-free, open-enrollment, independent charter school that offers a progressive education in the liberal arts & sciences to over 600 students in grades 6-12. As a community-based school, we proudly serve the communities of central Brooklyn in New York City. Our middle school and high school campuses are located in the neighborhoods of Bedford Stuyvesant and Williamsburg, respectively.
Unity’s mission is to empower students as scholars and citizens so they may lead fulfilling academic, personal, and professional lives. We accomplish our mission through the integration of seven key elements that serve as the backbone of our school’s design. Collectively, these elements reflect our beliefs on what makes for an exceptional secondary education in today’s world:
1. A Grades 6-12 College Preparatory Curriculum: a college-preparatory liberal arts and sciences program of study in mathematics, English language arts (ELA), science, and history that fosters in students the desire and capacity to learn independently, think critically, and communicate proficiently so that they are fully prepared to succeed in their postsecondary studies
2. Excellent Teaching: an enthusiastic faculty of expert educators who are demonstrably successful in promoting student learning, couple high expectations with high support, go above and beyond the call of duty for students as scholars and as citizens, and serve as role models for students as life-long learners and as individuals who take the utmost pride in perfecting their craft
3. More Time for Learning: an extended day, week, and year that provide approximately 20% more time than the local district average for academic enrichment and extracurricular activities that deepen learning and engagement, accelerate academic growth, and expose students to new pursuits
4. Intensive and Differentiated Academic Support: customized settings and support provided by caring specialists for remediation and acceleration, including small class sizes, integrated co-teaching, literacy interventions, after-school and weekend tutoring, as well as advanced-level course offerings at our middle school and high school
5. Ample Enrichment Courses and Extra-Curricular Activities: enrichment courses in the performing arts, visual arts, computer science, and foreign languages, as well as elective clubs, athletic teams, internships, and other “beyond-the-classroom” activities that serve to reinforce what students learn in their core courses, accommodate individual student interests, and develop important professional and citizenship skills through real-world, meaningful application
6. A Positive and Supportive School Culture: a culture built on a framework of Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports (PBIS) in which compassionate adults explicitly guide students in the following:
o modeling the behaviors that contribute to a positive and productive learning environment
o developing socio-emotional skills needed to be successful, including how to manage emotions, reduce stress, make healthy decisions, and learn from one’s mistakes
7. Active Family and Community Involvement: ample opportunities for family engagement and community service that promotes open communication, meaningful collaboration, and active involvement and service within Unity’s community and beyond
Our Recent Accomplishments: Regardless of where students are academically or otherwise as they enter our school, our focus is on accelerating growth and on cultivating long-term academic and non-academic success. This focus has reaped impressive results for our students and families in recent years. Among our accomplishments:
● Our 8th grade students have consistently outperformed their district peers in mathematics and ELA on state exams.
● Our students who comprise subgroups that are traditionally least effectively served by our education system, including students classified as economically disadvantaged, black, Latino, and students with disabilities, have consistently outperformed their district and state peers on state exams.
● 78% of our founding 11th graders are presently enrolled in at least one Advanced Placement (AP) course. This compares favorably with the 33% of NYC graduates who enroll in AP courses during their high school tenure.
● In holding true to our belief in providing a truly empowering education:
o 90% of our students participated in an afternoon extra-curricular activity.
o 80% of our students participated in a formal community service initiative.
o 90% of students successfully completed their end-of-year Roundtable presentation, a 45-minute oral presentation given to families, Unity faculty, and community members.
o 100% of high school students completed a full-year course in college and career readiness.
Core Responsibilities: Key responsibilities of Unity’s Director of Finance & Development include but are not limited to the following:
● Managing the annual budget for the school and related documents to forecast financial metrics, goals, and contingency plans in a solutions-oriented and timely manner
● Providing oversight of the school’s day-to-day financial management, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, grants management, and the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
● Bookkeeping duties for school-based revenues and expenses, including bank deposits
● Preparing financial reports for the New York State Education Department, Head of School, and Board of Trustees, including the preparation of monthly financial statements for monthly board meetings
● Creating and maintaining detailed systems for financial backup documentation
● Administering payroll and 403(b) benefit/contributions and pre-tax transit and childcare benefit/contribution, along with the management of yearly W2 creation
● Managing all financial audits and 990 preparation with external auditors and the yearly closing process
● Issuing tax notices (1099’s) to vendors and contractors as required
● Contributing to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties and responsibilities, including maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
Core Qualifications: The ideal candidate for this position is equipped with:
● A Master’s Degree and at least three years of experience in a management/operations/finance role
● A Certified Public Accountant qualification
● Extensive experience in financial modeling, reporting, and excellent quantitative skills
● Experience in leading development and fundraising initiatives
● Budget development and implementation in a complex organization
● An openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
● A strong work ethic that features organization, multi-tasking, flexibility, an orientation toward solutions, and a pride in meeting deadlines
● Expertise in a nonprofit setting, including working with diverse populations of students and families
● Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
● Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), of course, a sense of humor
Overview of Position: Our Director of Finance is an essential member of our staff and faculty. They manage the school's finances and ensure its fiscal health. As they manage the school’s finances, they demonstrate high levels of…
Comprehensive dental, medical, vision and 403B plan.
Comprehensive dental, medical, vision and 403B plan.
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/online-application/ to begin the application process.
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www…