Details: This is an AmeriCorps position, with members earning $1,307 monthly stipend and $5,920 education award.
720 2nd Avenue
United Way of King County’s Financial Stability Team is seeking a dynamic professional to serve as a Financial Empowerment AmeriCorps Member on the largest anti-poverty program in WA State – the Free Tax Preparation Campaign.
Position Title: Financial Empowerment Associate
Start & End Dates: 9/3/18 – 7/17/19
The Free Tax Preparation Campaign is a community-wide effort to provide free tax prep and to ensure individuals and families are accessing all of the tax credits and refunds they’re entitled to. Last year alone, the Free Tax Preparation Campaign prepared 23,200 tax returns, bringing $31.6 million brought back to the community in tax credits and refunds. We know that many of our nation’s most powerful anti-poverty tools exist within the tax code, like the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credits – but each year millions of dollars are left on the table due to the complexity of the tax code and the high cost of tax prep. The Free Tax Prep Campaign addresses this problem, and others, to promote financial stability in the King County community.
Your Role and What You Will Learn
The Financial Empowerment AmeriCorps member will work programmatically behind the scenes, as well as directly in the community to ensure the success of the Free Tax Prep Campaign. This position is broken down into three phases over the course of 10.5 months:
1. Executing on grassroots and high-level volunteer recruitment strategies to recruit and train over 1,300 volunteers.
2. Performing client-facing outreach and providing client services by managing one of our 30 tax sites in the community.
3. Presenting to community stakeholders and providing financial empowerment workshops to increase financial knowledge.
This is a unique opportunity where you will gain a mix of tax and personal finance expertise, direct service, and non-profit experience. As a member of our small but mighty team, this position will play a key role in reaching our goal of preparing 24,000 tax returns and bringing over $30 million in tax credits and refunds back to our community.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Fearless critical thinker
- Passionate believer in social justice and economic justice
- Seeks autonomy and leadership
- Resourceful team player
- Eager to learn technical skills and empower others with this knowledge
- People-oriented, with exceptional communication and relationship-building skills
- Ability to speak a second language is helpful, but not required
- Access to a car
- No tax preparation experience necessary – we will train you
- Monthly stipend of $1,307 before deductions and withholdings.
- Basic health insurance (not including vision coverage).
- Workers compensation coverage.
- Assistance with childcare costs.
- $5,920 education award (10.5-month positions) that can be used for future schooling or to pay off existing qualified student loan debt (upon successful completion of the service term).
- Forbearance (temporarily postponing paying off a loan) of qualified student loans during the service term.
- Payment of interest on qualified student loans that accrued during the service term.
- Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as “employment” towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.
- Public transportation pass (ORCA)
- Comprehensive training, certification and orientation
- Chance to join United Way's Emerging Leaders Network, the Seattle AmerICorps Collaborative, and a large network of current AmeriCorps members and alums
- Career and professional development coaching
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States
- Must be available 40 hours a week for 5 days a week
- Able to serve 10.5 months and reach a total of 1700 service hours.
- Must go through a Washington State Patrol background check, FBI background check and National Sex Offender Registry Check, plus state of residence background check if not living in WA currently
- F1 VISAS are not sufficient
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
People of color encouraged to apply. The application process moves quickly, please expect a phone call within 24 hours of receiving your application
Note that your resume and cover letter are optional.
You are encouraged to bypass this application portal by completing a thoughtful AmeriCorps profile and applying for our listing here: http://bit.ly/fea18-19