School Year: 2021-2022
Location: Washington, DC
Organization Name: Washington School for Girls
Department Description: A teacher at The Washington School for Girls works as a member of a team of educators to carry out the mission of the Washington School for Girls. The teacher provides for the instruction of students by developing, selecting, and modifying instructional plans and materials and presenting them using instructional techniques which seek to meet the needs of each student. A WSG teacher seeks to provide an atmosphere which accelerates each student's academic, artistic, social and emotional achievement in alignment with the school's mission educational philosophies, policies, and procedures. She/he abides by all guidelines set forth by the administration of WSG and specified in the WSG Personnel Handbook.
Brief Description of Classification: This is a 12 Month Position
Detailed Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- ● Plan and prepare lessons, assignments, instructional materials;
- ● Teach elementary level reading, math and other content area subjects and
- perform duties assigned by Principal of the Washington School for Girls;
- ● Prepare and conduct classes that invite and foster optimal learning for each child;
- ● Evaluate student progress using appropriate assessment techniques;
- ● Confer with parents and students regarding progress/problems of assigned students; arrange and participate in teacher-parent or teacher- student conferences whenever indicated for the welfare of the student;
- ● Create a safe environment for learning;
- ● Maintain a self-contained classroom;
- ● Work closely as a team member and collaborate with other teachers to meet students’ learning needs;
- ● Monitor appropriate use and care of equipment, textbooks, materials, and facilities;
- ● Fulfill all record keeping and other administrative duties in a timely manner;
- ● Supervise breakfast, recess, lunch, club and independent study activities according to schedule;
- ● Attend and actively participates in WSG staff/faculty, family meetings and provides input regarding the planning of instruction goals, objectives and methods (including occasional evening meetings).
- ● Actively participate in professional development courses/classes offered to improve skill and knowledge
- ● Represent the mission of WSG in thought, word, and action
- ● Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professional Competency
- ● Reflect and model WSG values and attitudes as a Catholic School in interactions with students, teachers, families, and members of the public.
- ● Follow the policies and procedures of WSG as described in the WSG Personnel Handbook, including such items as being on time, professional dress, and maintaining appropriate records and reports.
- ● Demonstrate high standards of professionalism, including legal and professional ethics in interactions with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and members of the public.
- Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- ● Ability to work with diverse populations;
- ● Collaborative leadership and decision making
- ● Data management tools, organizational tools, computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Google Email)
- ● Committed to Catholic Education that is academically excellent
- ● Proven ability to work as a member of a team
- ● Commitment to their own learning
- ● A minimum of three years teaching experience is required
- ● Strong background of teaching reading is preferred
- Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree required in applicable field of education or related field.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: No direct supervisory responsibilities Accountable to: Principal
- Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.
- To Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Attention: Elementary Teacher Position