Full Time Contract
Details: $375.00 per week
7 Elements (7e) is an educational organization that harnesses volunteer efforts to improve the environmental, economic, food, health, individual, community, and political security of selected Haitian and Dominican communities. Dr. David Addison, Founder & Executive Director of 7E, has developed interventions rooted in his PhD thesis of sustainability. 7E focuses on the seven elements of human security and utilizes holistic development projects as educational tools for international students. This multidisciplinary approach is the framework used to address challenges in the region and educate youth about the living conditions in the north central region of the Dominican Republic.
Participate in all aspects of programming alongside students including community service and excursions. Mentors will facilitate activities implementing 7e’s service-learning curriculum as well as discussion and reflection sessions to help students process their experiences. Mentors will facilitate discussions with a small or large group of students regularly and occasionally lead activities with larger groups of students. Must have the ability to educate students about human security and 7 Elements curriculum and maintain positive group dynamics through the following:
- Live alongside students; you have responsibility for the students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while programs are in operation
- Protect the health and safety of students at all times
- Work as part of a team to implement 7e’s service-learning curriculum
- Lead games, ice-breakers, presentations, etc.
- Mentor and counsel students through personal growth experiences
- Provide constructive feedback for further program and curriculum development
- Maintain a professional and culturally appropriate communication between local partners and 7e
7e is currently hiring Mentors to assist with the following programs:
- Sports Program *surfing experience a plus (14 day program)
- Jun 19 - Jul 2, 2018 Jul 5 - Jul 18, 2018 Jul 21 - Aug 3, 2018
- Global Health Initiative Program (14 day program) *Health experience a plus
- Jun 11 - Jun 24, 2018 Jun 27 - Jul 10, 2018 Jul 13 - Jul 26, 2018 Jul 29 - Aug 11, 2018
- Sustainable World Program (21 day program) *Understanding of international development a plus
- Jun 14 - Jul 4, 2018 Jul 8 - Jul 28, 2018
Please state which program interests you the most in your cover letter.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS/SKILLS/ABILITIES
● Bachelor’s Degree
● A minimum of two years of experience working with teens
● Mastery relating with teenagers
● Experience with international development strongly preferred
● Fluency in English
● Comfortable with speaking Spanish (must have the ability to hold a basic conversation)
● WFA/WFR and/or Lifeguard Certification
● Travel experience (Latin America preferred); experience living abroad (Latin America / Africa/ Asia preferred)
● Flexible personality; ability and interest in assuming very diverse tasks
● Strong work ethic and dedication to the position
● Natural aptitude to motivate and energize students in a variety of settings and situations
● Good physical and mental health. Staff must possess the ability to actively participate in all elements of the program’s experience.
● Competency regarding topics in international development, development economics, poverty alleviation, international aid, NGO work, and public health
● Confidence to travel and work independently throughout Dominican Republic
● Charisma and comfort guiding and working with large groups of people, including US medical professionals and US students
● Excellent writing skills; Strong leadership skills; Strong interpersonal and communication skills
● Ability to work very independently, but also cooperate effectively with teams
● 9 to 5ers need not apply!
One round trip plane ticket to Dominican Republic
Living expenses (food and lodging)
Medical insurance for the duration of your contract
International work experience alongside like-minded individuals
Preference given to those with experience in the global health field, environment, sustainability, and international development
Fluency in English and Spanish (conversational) required
CPR/WFA/WFR and/or Lifeguard Certification
You are able to apply to position and obtain your certification before arrival into country but must have certification for position.
Must be willing and able to live, work and travel independently in Latin America
Former Peace Corps Volunteer experience an advantage
Experience working with youth groups preferred
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
You must be available for the full range of dates to apply for a position within a program. Please review our website for program dates. Note: Program Directors must be available 5 days prior to the program start date and two days after the program end date.
7e interviews for positions in December of each year. The hiring process has multiple steps, including careful placement - this usually takes 3-6 weeks. Communication will mainly be done via email; please remember to check your spam folder for a response from us regarding employment status
Step 1: How to Apply
Please submit a current resume with a cover letter by email to email@example.com. Applicants who do not send these documents, will not be considered. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis. ONLY finalists will be contacted for an in person or telephone interview.
Note: Your cover letter should highlight your experience in facilitating experiential education programs, youth development and leadership, and any experience you have living/traveling the country or region where you are interested in working.
Step 2: Interviews
Once we receive your documents, we will contact you to schedule an interview. If your resume is selected, we will invite you for a first interview via telephone. Successful candidates applying will complete a minimum of two interviews before they are offered a contract.
Step 3: References and Background Check
If you make it through the interview process successfully, we will run a background check on you and contact your references. Assuming all goes well, you will be offered a position!