We are looking for a talented and energized Policy & Research Senior Manager to join our team.
The ideal person should have a deep passion to dive deep into critical issues facing Black & Brown communities with a solution based thinking in their research. Additionally the ideal person will have a critical understanding of electoral data and polling, and understanding of legislative processes across all levels of government.
Research Strategy and Planning
- Contribute to research strategy holistically and on a project-by-project basis.
- Contribute to strategy for, plus develop and manage, the annual research calendar.
- Manage the process for and contribute to the selection decisions of external research
- partners (pollsters, universities, etc) where applicable
- Work with the Executive Director to help distribute to internal and external stakeholders relevant research & data conducted by Leaders Igniting Transformation
- Track, comment on, and distribute to internal stakeholders relevant research & data conducted by other organizations.
Research Analysis, Production, and Distribution
- Monitor and track state, regional, and federal legislative and regulatory policy developments impacting policy areas directly impacting the organization's scope of work and key issues
- Provide primary or secondary analysis of all research data, which may involve the use of quantitative and/or qualitative methods, to support the development of or contributions to key findings.
- Directly contribute to and manage creation of research reports and presentations, including drafting the findings report and presentation, and collaborating with stakeholders on design and production.
- Collaborate with the communication team & various organizing teams on key research talking points.
- Responsible for ensuring staff and local groups understand key policy stances
Research Project Management
- Project-manage research projects, including creating and managing plans, deliverables, and stakeholder contributions.
- Develop and manage project management processes, procedures, and archival.
- Track and report on research activities, progress, and outcomes. Conduct periodic review
- and evaluation of efficacy of research efforts in collaboration with key internal and external
- Identify creative and strategic opportunities for LIT to advance its policy agenda
- Assist in conceptualizing and drafting innovative policy proposals related to
- LIT’s priorities that can be organized around.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of one or more of the following substantive research and policy areas, coupled with a breadth of interest across the program area:
- Adolescent development
- Debt Free Higher Education
- Electoral system reform
- School to Prison Pipeline
- Youth center civic engagement
- Entrepreneurial approach to work
- 2-3 years directly overseeing research planning, statistical analysis, and project management for a savvy, innovative non-profit.
- Masterful analytical skills, including the ability to distill useful findings from a body of data,
- relating findings to external factors and context, and unearthing patterns of findings,
- discerning which are useful.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including proven success in ability to
- present ideas and concepts effectively and persuasively.
- Demonstrated expertise communicating with and managing relationships with external
- research vendors.
- Excellent project management skills including demonstrated ability to set and manage
- priorities and multiple tasks. Outcomes and deadlines oriented.
- Excellent attention to detail. Organized and process-oriented.
- Ability to problem-solve and manage workflow both independently and collaboratively
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues as a core of your work and the impact these have on our collective experience
- Attention to detail and ability to support multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Alignment on the core progressive values of Leaders Igniting Transformation
- Previous experience writing legislation either federally, state, our within local municipalities
- Experience working on progressive policy change
- Demonstrated experience working on a project with an organization that helped shift the landscape of what is perceived to be politically feasible
- Administrative advocacy experience