The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a national, non-partisan organization that uses the power of information to protect the environment and human health. EWG seeks a detail-oriented, creative, deadline-driven applications programmer to assist with development of our web sites which include EWG, Skin Deep ® Healthy Cleaning Guide, Food Scores and several other web sites. These website gets over 25 million sessions a year and over 70 million people are exposed to our research and work through our digital properties.
· The Ruby on Rails developer will take responsibility for programming and implementing features within an existing Rails app using test driven design. The successful candidate will help build unit and functional tests for the existing code.
· This person will ensure projects are completed according to established timelines with creativity and professionalism. Experience with Git, Ruby and version control is required.
· This person will also work with current staff to help improve code performance and manage the data underlying our applications.
In addition to the Rails app, EWG maintains separate websites written in PHP, Drupal, and Wordpress. An ideal candidate would have experience or the desire to learn of PHP, Drupal and/or Wordpress to support the programming efforts of these other websites.
· Experience building Ruby on Rails websites.
· Experience developing custom Ruby code.
· Experience pair programming with a remote programmer.
· Experience using version control software on as part of a team.
· Intimate knowledge of HTML, SQL & CSS required.
· Knowledge of PHP, Drupal, or WordPress a helpful.
· Knowledge of web UI design and accessibility standards a plus.
· Passionate interest in environmental issues.
This position requires the person to work in the office. The preferred office location is the Washington, DC office but it is possible the person could work in the San Francisco office.
Minimum Education Required