Part Time Temporary
Summary of Position:
The seasonal Steward will be responsible for the seasonal routine maintenance at the twelve other properties in the Central Management Unit that characterize the communities in which they reside. The Steward performs routine maintenance on these properties, caring for the fields, trails, gardens, structures, and other natural and cultural features. Day to day operations include a variety of tasks including mowing lawn areas, trimming brush, maintaining walking trails, and engaging visitors. This position provides great experience in the logistics of park management, natural resources conservation, wildlife management, landscaping and other related fields. This is a seasonal position from April- November and part-time with 16-20 hours per week. Position is based at the Doyle Center in Leominster, MA.
- Constructing and maintaining parking areas, fences, and trails.
- Routine maintenance of landscapes including mowing fields and lawns, tree and shrub care, and brush removal.
- Maintaining buildings and structures, including using carpentry tools, paint brush, and other hand tools.
- Removing trash and litter.
- Helping with seasonal events.
- Working with volunteers on property needs.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Strong interest in and some experience with landscape management and structural maintenance.
- Excellent “people skills” to lead, inspire, motivate and work cooperatively and harmoniously with fellow employees, volunteers, committees, members and the public.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team member.
- Proven ability to complete assigned tasks and projects, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Experience using a chainsaw and other small power tools.
- Strong commitment to the mission of The Trustees of Reservations.
- The ability to work in all weather conditions, lift up to 50 pounds, push and pull heavy objects and climb ladders is required.
- Valid driver’s license required for driving Trustees vehicles.
- CORI check required.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends is required.
Variable outdoor weather conditions and work with farm animals. Ability to lift 50 pounds required.
Benefits and Salary:
The Trustees offers competitive compensation, as well as the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors and the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Trustees of Reservations:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Our seasonal staff plays an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required