660 North Capitol Street NW
The National Association of Regional Councils (NARC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, serves as the national voice for regions and regional solutions. NARC advocates for and provides services to its member councils of governments and metropolitan planning organizations. NARC is an equal opportunity employer.
NARC announces an opening for a Communications and Membership Associate in its Washington, DC office. The successful candidate will provide a combination of professional and administrative assistance to bring value to NARC’s members through outreach and communications. The role includes interacting with members to understand the needs of each region; distributing two weekly newsletters; developing additional member communications; connecting members to NARC staff, services, and resources; promoting NARC programs and conferences; and supporting program and conference planning.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree; a focus in communications, planning, political science, public administration, or a related field is a plus. Previous communications or office assistant experience is preferred.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure, and successfully set and manage priorities and deadlines for themselves and other staff members.
- Excel in oral and written communications and represent NARC in a professional manner.
- Exhibit strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and a proactive approach within the office environment.
- Have a base understanding of HTML and experience with basic creative design tools.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage online and social media presence including managing updates, writing and editing content, and coordinating with members to gather guest content.
- Coordinate production and distribution of two weekly newsletters.
- Utilize website, social media, and electronic communications to market, in coordination with other staff, NARC programs, webinars, calls, and other resources to member and non-member organizations.
- Develop additional electronic communications, press releases, resources, research, and publications as needed.
- Facilitate peer-to-peer networking among the communications staff of member organizations.
- Develop conference marketing materials in coordination with staff and host member, including sponsorship packets.
- Coordinate conference preparation logistics including materials and speaker needs.
- Manage annual awards process including marketing, reviewers, and materials.
- Support conference sponsorship efforts.
- Coordinate annual leadership elections process including advanced announcements, completion of required delegate documents, and tracking outcomes.
- Identify opportunities to provide support to members, including orientations, surveys, member-only events, and leadership opportunities through board and committee participation.
- Assist in developing new tools for communication with and between members.
- Develop membership recruitment materials, in coordination with other staff.
This role will also provide general office support.
Current Organizational Software Tools
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google Analytics
Position reports to Executive Director
NARC offers a full suite of benefits, including health care, retirement match, generous paid vacation and personal time, and professional development.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. For more information, please see www.narc.org. No calls please.