Civil Rights Corps seeks an experienced and passionate Policy Associate to support the Policy Department, which leads Civil Rights Corps’ efforts to design—and bring to fruition—cutting-edge policies that decarcerate the U.S. criminal-legal system, deconstruct systemic racism, and support movement organizers. The Policy Associate will report to the Policy Director.
The Policy Associate will:
• Devise model local, state, and federal policies and pilot projects;
• Conduct policy research to support new proposals, bills, and advocacy materials;
• Draft policy and advocacy materials, including briefs, reports, memos, and toolkits;
• Build and participating in advocacy coalitions seeking local, state, or federal policy change;
• Provide policy-focused technical assistance to grassroots community-based organizations and advocates;
• Conduct interviews and making site visits to observe innovative programs, see specific policies in action, or meet local stakeholders; and
• Work with other CRC departments in creating advocacy campaigns that integrate policy with litigation, organizing, public education, and strategic communications.
The ideal applicant is passionate about justice, a team leader, proactive, thoughtful, able to juggle multiple tasks, and able to work well in a collaborative environment. Specific qualifications we are looking for include:
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in law and/or policy work in non-profit organizations or government;
• Innovative thinking, an unwillingness to accept things as they are, and a smart work ethic;
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission, purpose, and values of CRC, as well as a collaborative, team-oriented, and positive approach;
• Experience developing, creating, and implementing new policy proposals, platforms, and interventions, including as part of multi-organization or multi-stakeholder teams;
• Strong foundation in policy research and analysis;
• Exceptionally strong writing skills, including some background in legislative drafting;
• Proven ability to learn quickly, stay flexible, take initiative, establish priorities, work independently, and self-motivate; and
• The capacity for out-of-the-box, creative, dream-big-or-go-home thinking that brings a get-to-yes mentality to all policy projects; and
• An advanced degree may be useful, but is not required.
Civil Rights Corps seeks an experienced and passionate Policy Associate to support the Policy Department, which leads Civil Rights Corps’ efforts to design—and bring to fruition—cutting-edge policies that decarcerate the U.S…
Civil Rights Corps offers an outstanding and generous benefits package, including employer-paid health, vision, and dental benefits; transit benefits; an annual wellness benefit; retirement matching; and paid sick, family, and vacation leave. Individuals in this position also have the opportunity to join the CRC union. This position is based in Washington, DC; remote working arrangements are available while CRC’s physical office is closed or partially closed because of COVID-19.
Civil Rights Corps offers an outstanding and generous benefits package, including employer-paid health, vision, and dental benefits; transit benefits; an annual wellness…
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of four references to firstname.lastname@example.org , including at least one reference from either a peer or person who reported to you. Please include your name and “Policy Associate Application” in the subject line.
Interviews will be conducted via a video teleconferencing platform and a reference check will be completed before an offer is made. Applications will be accepted until a candidate is identified.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of four references to email@example.com , including at least one reference from either…