About Reach Out and Read
Founded in 1989, Reach Out and Read gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together. Reach Out and Read’s tens of thousands of trained pediatric providers use books as a diagnostic tool during regular check-ups, and teach parents how to engage their child with a book to promote positive parent-child interactions during the rapid brain growth between birth and age five, particularly in economically disadvantaged families who are at risk for adverse outcomes. The daily practice of reading aloud with a parent supports a child’s literacy and math skill development, her social-emotional development, and prepares her for future success in school. Through its national network of providers, Reach Out and Read is helping to set 4.7 million children a year on a path to a bright future, from birth.
Reach Out and Read is the only national early literacy intervention delivered through pediatric care providers. The program has been the subject of 16 independent studies, the largest body of scientific research for any psychosocial intervention in pediatrics. Research shows that children served by Reach Out and Read are read to more often, enjoy sharing books more, and have better expressive and receptive language skills.
· Reach Out and Read program sites are located in more than 6,000 hospitals and health centers in all 50 states, Washington, D. C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
· Reach Out and Read serves more than 4.7 million children and their families annually.
· More than 7.2 million new, developmentally appropriate books are given to children annually.
· More than 32,000 medical providers currently participate in Reach Out and Read
· 16 independent studies demonstrate that Reach Out and Read parents are two-and-a-half times more likely to read regularly to their children and, as a result, children’s language development is enhanced.
To learn more about Reach Out and Read, visit www.reachoutandread.org
The Director of Major Gifts has a unique opportunity to help shape the future direction of Reach Out and Read. Guided by a dynamic new leadership team, over the past two years, Reach Out and Read’s annual budget has more than doubled allowing for programmatic innovation and growth. Right now, Reach Out and Read is beginning a strategic programmatic and geographic expansion.
The Director of Major Gifts is a new leadership position focused in New York / Connecticut / Massachusetts. Upon analyzing the existing individual donor fundraising efforts, the Director of Major Gifts will be responsible for spearheading the development of the organization’s first Leadership Donor Circle, comprising major donors who make single-year and multi-year pledges. This will include creating, managing and enhancing a comprehensive fundraising strategy that in two to three years will generate $1,000,000+ annually in support from individuals. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned fundraiser, highly motivated, entrepreneurial and a self-starter, and they will be skilled at articulating and executing a strategic fundraising plan. This includes identifying prospects, building relationships, and providing exceptional stewardship to both existing and prospective individual donors. Strong analytical skills as well as a solid fundraising track record are necessary to be successful, along with the ability to continually multi-task and re-prioritize projects. This is an extremely fast paced, multi-faceted position.
This newly established position helps ensure Reach Out and Read is maximizing income from wealthy individuals so we can continue to expand our reach and impact. A passion for our mission is essential. The Director of Major Gifts will be a vital part of the growing development team.
Director of Major Gifts Responsibilities:
The primary functions of this position consist of the following:
● Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Major Gifts will analyze the current funding landscape and donor prospects to develop and implement a comprehensive major donor fundraising strategy.
● Provide ongoing support to the Chief Development Officer’s work with top leadership prospects and donors.
● Meet with donors and prospective donors, conduct presentations, lead site visits and share Reach Out and Read’s mission and impact with confidence, enthusiasm, and passion.
● Work collaboratively with Director of the Annual Fund to establish the first Leadership Donor Circle program through identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
● Manage the Leadership Donor Circle with an emphasis on continued donor acquisition, retention, and gift upgrades.
● Create and maintain gift recognition programs.
● Keep Salesforce up to date and actively use as a research, administrative, tracking, and planning tool.
● Provide weekly, monthly, and annual data analysis to the Chief Development Officer.
● Work with the Chief Development Officer to ensure fundraising activities align with the overall development goals.
● Assist in the creation and execution of a defined stewardship policy for the Leadership Donor Circle.
● Serve as a vital member of the Development Team.
(The above statements in this job description are intended to depict the general nature and level of work assigned to the employee(s) in this job. The above is not intended to represent an exhaustive list of accountable duties and responsibilities required).
● B.S./B.A. degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
● Seven or more years fundraising including extensive experience with individual giving. Knowledge of the New York / Connecticut / Massachusetts fundraising landscape preferred.
● Proven ability to both cultivate new leads for donors and effectively steward individual donors.
● Demonstrated track record of successfully managing an established book of business and growing individual donors
● Ability to multi-task, handle interruptions and competing priorities, manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
● Ability to work remotely both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of the organization.
● Computer proficiency and analytical skills required. Experience working with a fundraising database, (Salesforce), developing queries and analyzing data to deliver accurate metrics and reports.
● Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Organizational and project management skills are essential.
● Experience working with low-income families, early literacy programs and/or in a medical setting preferred.
● Strong commitment to Reach Out and Read’s mission with influencing and public speaking skills.
● Creative problem solver and “can do” attitude.
● Strong sense of humor.
Special Working Conditions:
● Requires ability to travel locally and regionally at least 50% of the time.
● Attend annual leadership conference and regional conferences as scheduled.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This position requires sitting at a desk for long periods of time, as well as regular travel and in person meetings with current funder and new funder prospects.
Reach Out and Read is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide a cover letter and resume in one document with your name included in the file name. e.g. Jones, Maria resume and cover letter for Reach Out and Read’s Director of Major Gifts. Kindly, email the cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.