SV@Home is the voice for affordable housing in the Silicon Valley. With an 11-person staff team and a 20-member Board of Directors, SV@Home drives the creation of affordable housing for a more vibrant and equitable Silicon Valley. SV@Home’s approach focuses on policy advocacy, education, and messaging to build the political will to support policies, programs, land use, and funding that will increase the supply of affordable housing for all in Santa Clara County. SV@Home’s vision is a Silicon Valley where all people have access to a safe, stable, and affordable home.
SV@Home is a membership organization, with 300 organizational and individual members who represent a wide variety of sectors and backgrounds.
A 501c3 nonprofit organization, SV@Home is currently in the process of incorporating a new 501c4 organization.
SV@Home is seeking a passionate, well organized, and creative individual to join its team. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will manage the day-to-day operations associated with SV@Home’s policy, land use, and legislative programs. The position oversees SV@Home’s policy team.
- Managing a six-person policy team as it works to increase affordable housing opportunities in Santa Clara County.
- Providing support to the Executive Director to develop and implement organizational strategies.
- Working with the Executive Director to provide support to the Board of Directors and Board committees.
- Working with the development team to support SV@Home’s fundraising needs and activities.
- Directing strategy for all local and regional policy and advocacy work.
- Overseeing SV@Home’s legislative response.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with elected officials, government staff, developers, advocates, and other partners.
Outreach and Engagement
- Speaking on behalf of SV@Home at meetings and conferences and providing expertise on various housing topics.
- Working with the communications team to develop and implement SV@Home’s communication plan, messaging efforts, and social media strategy.
- Bringing together coalitions of partners to respond to policy and advocacy opportunities.
- Working with local and regional partners to link efforts with other housing, social equity, and smart growth initiatives in the Bay Area.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field, such as Urban Planning or Public Policy, is preferred.
- A minimum of six years of work experience in affordable housing development, land use planning, community development, or public policy advocacy. Advanced coursework from an accredited university can be applied to this requirement.
- A minimum of three years managing mid- and junior-level staff.
- A strong understanding of the political landscape in the Bay Area as it pertains to the housing crisis, especially in Santa Clara County, and an awareness of the opportunities and challenges facing affordable housing advocates is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to communicate effectively with broad audiences, including elected officials, experts in the field, funders, and members of the public.
- A start-up attitude, with the ability to be flexible and think strategically and outside of the box.
- A self-starter who is well organized and able to juggle multiple priorities concurrently.
- Organizing and campaign experience is a plus.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 25, or until the position is filled. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to INFO@SILICONVALLEYATHOME.ORG with “Deputy Director Application” in the email subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted if selected for an interview. Phone calls will not be entertained.
SV@Home is an equal opportunity employer to all regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, actual or perceived gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.
SV@Home offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental/vision, vacation, sick, holidays, SIMPLE IRA employer match, phone stipend, and parking/public transit stipend.
Minimum Education Required