171 Goddard Avenue
The Park School is a Pre-K to Grade 8 independent school in Brookline, MA dedicated to excellence in education.The cornerstone of Park's program is academic excellence, combining both high standards of scholarship and the encouragement of each child to develop to his or her greatest potential. Our school community fosters a nurturing environment in which children develop curiosity, express creativity, appreciate the value of hard work and discipline, and experience the joy of learning. Park's faculty encourages each student to strive for intellectual, physical and moral growth and to become contributing members of the community.
The Accountant is a member of the School’s Business Office department and reports to the Director of Finance. This full time, 12 month position is responsible for working with faculty and staff to maintain financial reports, records, and general ledgers and perform general accounting functions and activities. The ideal candidate will bring a history of collaborative, self-directed work as well as a good sense of humor.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary Financial Responsibilities:
- Monitor cash balances and maintain the daily cash log for all bank accounts.
- Monitor and download enrollment cash deposits from Diamond Mind on a daily basis during Registration periods, primarily in February and March.
- Perform and maintain the monthly review and reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts, including all bank accounts.
- Reconcile gift revenue and pledges with the Development Team on a monthly basis.
- Update the endowment activity report quarterly.
- Collaborate with the Summer & Auxiliary Programs Coordinator to reconcile all summer and auxiliary programs income and expenses.
- Download and record monthly tuition revenue and reconcile receivables in collaboration with the Bookkeeper.
- Collaborate with the Bookkeeper to manage the school credit card accounting.
- Provide supporting documentation for the annual audit.
- Support the Director of Finance in preparation of the Form 990 and MA PC as needed.
- Assist with various projects and reporting requirements for the annual audit.
- Serve on the financial aid committee and assist in the distribution of award packages
- Prepare annual 1099 forms.
Primary Administrative Functions:
- Ensure proper financial, accounting, and internal control policies are followed and in place.
- Support planning and organization of the business office including maintaining efficient record keeping of:
- All vendor contracts
- All tax and regulatory filings
- Other areas as requested
- Assist the Assistant Head of School for Finance and Operations with maintaining accurate personnel files for all current employees.
- Compile, maintain and submit statistics for benchmarking as requested.
- As requested and as time permits, support the Business Office team with its continuing responsibilities.
- Serve as a welcoming presence in the Business Office and be available to greet visitors and answer the phone, as needed.
- Respectfully engage with a diverse community and ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion is emphasized as a core value of the School.
- Seek and obtain relevant professional development for the position on an ongoing basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated proficiency with Excel as well as knowledge of Blackbaud or other accounting software.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a culturally diverse community including diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, language, family structure, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or accounting with 0-5 years of relevant experience.
- Please visit The Park School Employment page to complete an application and upload your resume and cover letter, and names of three references (optional).
- Competitive salary and benefits, including a strong professional development program, will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Park School welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their work and learning.
- The Park School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
Minimum Education Required