Proofreader/ Copy Editor, Content Strategy - Marketing and Communications
- Job posted by UJA-Federation of New York
130 East 59 Street
About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
Definition of Position:
The copy editor is responsible for the crucial editing and proofreading of a wide range of materials for UJA-Federation of New York, the world’s largest local philanthropy. The copy editor needs to be the meticulous and authoritative resource and arbiter of organizational brand and style.
- Copyedit and proofread all material for print and online – including emails, invitations, brochures, stories, publications, and more – produced by the Marketing & Communications department, as well as other departments as necessary.
- Establish and enforce house style standards, including grammar, usage, and branding.
- Maintain, monitor, and use research databases for fact-checking marketing statistics, population data, and all other relevant facts.
- Enforce legal standards for usage.
- Traffic and coordinate jobs with M&C staff and other departments as necessary.
- Articulate style standards through wiki and other platforms.
- Writing projects as assigned.
- Five years or more of professional experience in editing, preferably marketing and other editorial material.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- First-class editing and proofing skills, with knowledge of The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects and clients in a collegial, professional manner.
- Team player willing to contribute to writing and other project management assignments.
- Strong computer literacy on both Mac and PC platforms and ability to adjust easily to changes in technology.
- Consistent and intense attention to detail.
- Ability to work with high accuracy under deadline pressure.
- Superior writing and research skills.
- Ability to spot a broad range of errors, including spelling, grammar, usage, logic, design, and layout.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please submit your application directly to our job board at UJA Careers Page. Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.