Full Time Contract
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability is the leading global network of over 1,500 cities, towns and regions committed to building a sustainable future. By helping the ICLEI Network to become sustainable, low-carbon, ecomobile, resilient, biodiverse, resource-efficient, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, we impact over 25% of the global urban population.
To support the Global Communications Team we are offering the following position:
Officer, Communications (Maternity cover)
The Officer, Communications will be part of the Global Communications Team at the ICLEI World Secretariat based in Bonn, Germany. The Global Communications Team is responsible for strategic global communications that reach a diverse global audience.
Strategic content marketing and communications
- Build effective strategies to strengthen ICLEI’s brand, messaging and impact with target audiences.
- Select a mix of marketing and communications collateral and channels that achieve overall communications goals and objectives.
- Optimize the use of websites, blogs and social media.
- Connect with cities, potential sponsors, partners and event attendees.
- Regularly assess progress to inform periodic adjustments to the content and marketing strategy.
- Manage and define strategies for the use of communications tools, such as the global website, Mailchimp, Twitter, Wordpress, etc.
- Evaluate digital marketing analytics, set targets and adjust strategies as needed.
- Develop marketing and communications collateral that achieve organizational and project goals.
- Define and document best practices for copywriting that support the communications goals of a global organization such as ICLEI.
- Write effective targeted emails, news stories, blog articles, Tweets, etc.
- Research, write and edit content for ICLEI’s online and classic communications products, including newsletters, brochures, reports, etc.
- Maintain the global website, blog and various other media channels, while producing additional communication products to support the content and marketing strategy.
Support internal coordination and information sharing:
- Share knowledge across global and regional offices and design and oversee strategies and procedures for doing so.
- Support the communication works of various projects, including the development and implementation of project communication plans.
- At least 3 years of relevant communications experience in an international environment, with a proven track record in media outreach.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and native or near-native command of the English language. Proficiency in another language is considered as a strong asset.
- Degree in journalism, communications, environmental policy, urban planning, international relations or similar or a strong interest and proven experience in communications work in the realm of sustainable development.
- Ability to quickly synthesize information and build connections among a variety of thematic working areas.
- Ability to transform technical concepts into compelling texts, and digital content.
- Ability to guide and consult in strategic communications and messaging.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite considered an additional asset.
- Creative, motivated and proactive attitude and approach.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented atmosphere within a dynamic, fast-paced working environment.
Terms and conditions:
The position is available immediately at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The duration is for an anticipated maternity leave cover of seven months. The final duration will depend on the actual length of the maternity leave period. The position is within ICLEI’s Communication Team, and the Officer, Communications will report to the Head of Global Communications.
ICLEI is offering an annual salary of 31,500 - 40,167 EUR before tax and social insurance fees for the full-time position. The final salary will be determined based on the chosen applicant’s skills and experience.
- Workings hours: 40/week
- 30 days of paid leave per year for a full-time position.
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Officer, Communications” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- Your recent CV (3 pages at most)
- 3 written work samples
- Indication of possible start date
- Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for Germany)
Deadline for application: 16 April 2018
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.
In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview.
Kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable.
The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.