Since 1995, Futures and Options has empowered New York City's underserved youth to explore careers through career development and paid, mentored internships. We reach out to teens at a formative time of their lives, guiding them to further their education and become contributing citizens. Our model program enables New York's underserved youth to gain much needed access to the economic mainstream, work‐readiness training and support from caring adults. At the same time businesses are connected to a pipeline of promising, motivated and diverse young people. Together with our business and community partners, we are building the workforce of tomorrow. Our career development program makes it possible for underserved, motivated teens to acquire the applied skills and higher education to successfully contribute to a global 21st‐century economy. Since 1995, Futures and Options has served more than 6,000 New York City teens and coordinated internships at more than 500 businesses in New York City, with 90% of all participants successfully completing their program, graduating from high school and pursuing higher education.
Development Assistant Position
The Development Assistant will support the Futures and Options development initiatives and participate in all fundraising, marketing, and public relations activities, such as our annual appeal and online fundraising, marketing, media and public relations, and special events.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop content, write and disseminate monthly e-newsletter
- Oversee the production of the annual report
- Provide support for all mailings and e-blasts
- Update content for and design of the Futures and Options website
- Help to develop and execute press strategy for special events, including annual fundraiser
- Develop media contacts, write press releases and op-ed pieces as needed, promote and track media coverage
Donor Cultivation and Fundraising
- Produce solicitation letters, donor profiles, and mailings, often using merge functions
- Participate in developing creative approaches to donor cultivation and fundraising campaigns
- Create fundraising reports and other database reports as requested
- Organize and maintain development database; track donors, volunteers, and in-kind supporters
- Process individual donor contributions, event sponsorships, grant payments, and related acknowledgements
- Provide administrative support for all special events, e.g., draft correspondence, assist with mailings, phone inquiries, in-kind gift and revenue tracking, and other clerical duties.
- Assist with the creation and production of event collateral including save-the-date notifications, invitations, program, event signage, and any other relevant print and online materials
- Help solicit and organize silent auction items
- Assist with on-site event management including set-up and breakdown
- Attendance at all special events is required and may require evening/weekend work
Board Committee Support
- Work with Development Associate to cultivate Young Professional’s Committee’s recruitment efforts, meetings, taking meeting minutes and events
- Assist with Marketing Committee and Development Committee
- Two-three years’ experience in administrative or fundraising areas
- Team player with strong relationship-based approach to working with our team
- Exceptionally strong written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, establish priorities, and meet deadlines
- A strong work ethic and creative thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Must have high level computer proficiency and knowledge of MS Office, including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and databases
- Background and interest in education and/or youth development preferred
- Have integrity and be friendly, flexible, and confident
- Bachelor’s degree is required
Competitive package offered including base salary plus commission based on achievement of targets.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume, cover letter, professional writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with Development Assistant as the subject line.
No phone calls. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Futures and Options is an Equal Opportunity Employer.