Full Time Temporary
100 Gold Street
GrowNYC’s mission is to improve New York City's quality of life through environmental programs that transform communities block by block and empower all New Yorkers to secure a clean and healthy environment for future generations.
Grow to Learn is the citywide school gardens initiative. We work across the five boroughs to help establish sustainable learning gardens in public and charter K-12 schools. We believe gardens allow our urban public schools to sustain a different type of learning environment, emphasizing the growth of inquiry learning competencies and deep personal connections to the natural world. Since its inception in 2011, Grow to Learn has registered 740+ schools as part of our network. Registered schools are eligible for mini-grant funding to build or expand a garden space, ongoing training opportunities, free garden materials, and access to an extensive online resource library and garden network.
Grow to Learn will be expanding the Resource section on our website, dedicated to curriculum available to support garden-based learning with K-12 students. We’re looking for an intern studying elementary, middle, or high school education who’d like to help us connect the materials available through Grow to Learn, our partner organizations, and to create new curriculum to support our teachers and students.
This position is based in New York City and reports to the program Director.
· Reach out to our partner organizations for links to existing K-12 curriculum they’d like to share.
· Create a system for organizing incoming materials by grade/topic.
· Organize materials on our website via our Resource section.
· Create new curriculum as needed to be used with our 2018-2019 programs.
Qualifications/Special Skills/Areas of Study
· Internship applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in education and completed coursework relevant to curriculum design/development.
· Must be familiar with inquiry, project based, and experiential learning and the NYC DOE Scope and Sequence for Science and Social Studies.
· Interest in gardening and Grow to Learn’s mission is a must.
· Must be a self-starter/able to work independently.
· Familiarity with Wordpress is a plus.
· This internship will allow the student to bring their classroom knowledge into a professional work setting and broaden their knowledge through hands-on application in an environmental non-profit.
· Hands-on experience to build portfolio and professional contacts.
· Professional credit on Grow to Learn’s website and materials created.
· School credit, depending on the requirements.
Location and Hours
2-3 days per week, arranged in advance, at our office in Lower Manhattan. Days/hours are flexible.
Start and End Dates
June – August, Flexible
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Education and Curriculum Intern Application” in the subject line. GrowNYC is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required