6100 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 600
General Summary or Position Purpose:
The College Counselor will ensure that all Fulfillment Fund high school students are aware of high school graduation and A-G eligibility requirements. Provide students with a graduation plan and educate them on their post-secondary options. Prepare students for making a successful transition to college and assist Fulfillment Fund students in pursuing their academic goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: (Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Supervisor.)
- Responsible for the coordination, implementation, and supervision of day-to-day college counseling needs.
- Responsible for overseeing college advisement for all Fulfillment Fund high school students, creating & implementing programs and meeting both individually and/or in small groups with students during their junior and senior years to help them formulate individualized college or post-secondary access plans and to apply for and evaluate financial aid plans, as well as to provide options and alternatives to these post-secondary plans.
- Advise Fulfillment Fund high school students on course selection, admissions testing, building of a co-curricular profile to make themselves more attractive to colleges, and to encourage students to find their strengths and abilities.
- Enter student’s college counseling data in the Fulfillment Fund database in a timely manner.
- Build and maintain relationships with students, individual colleges, partner non-profits, high school personnel, and other outside agencies. Act as a Fulfillment Fund liaison and partner with organizations and institutions both at the local and national levels; act as the internal Fulfillment Fund coordinator for special opportunities offered by colleges for Fulfillment Fund students to visit or attend universities for special programs.
- Participate in college trips when deemed necessary sponsored by the Fulfillment Fund.
- Assume a major role with Destination College, College Site Visits, Essay Writing Workshops, Application Workshops, Financial Aid Counseling, Fulfillment Fund University, and other workshops and activities organized by High School Programs.
- Collaborate with the Director of High School Programs to provide content and review/revise lessons within the Fulfillment Fund’s College Access Curriculum.
- Assist in the college counseling training of Program Staff members. Advise the College Access Advisors in the execution of the curriculum related to college counseling.
- Facilitate the financial aid training for staff. Provide financial aid counseling for students.
- Assist with transfer advisement, when needed.
- Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment.
§ Occasional weekend/evening work.
The position may supervise college counseling consultants, student interns, and temporary employees, as necessary.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficient in use of standard information technologies including Microsoft software, the worldwide web and Education Edge Database.
- Minimum of three years experience in the educational sector and/or non-profit sector.
- Broad and deep understanding of the A-G requirements and the college admissions process.
- Broad understanding of financial aid.
- Knowledge about specific colleges and their specialties and programs.
- Bilingual Spanish/English language skills extremely desirable.
- Awareness and understanding of first generation college issues extremely desirable.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.
Education and/or Experience:
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree or greater in education, sociology, counseling, or a related field; Master’s Degree desired, but not required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: A current California Driver’s License and current automobile insurance coverage.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk to hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid outside conditions. The noise level in the environment is moderate.
Note: “The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. “
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email Salary History, Cover letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org