Position Title: Human Resources Administrator
Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization based in Decorah, Iowa focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers is seeking a Human Resources Administrator to join our team. The ideal candidate should have effective oral skills and excellent written communication skills, an understanding of corporate protocol and discretion, strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and a reasonable level of computer literacy, including a working knowledge of Excel and Google Docs, and an ability to work with a CRM and electronic payroll software.
Starting wage range: $20.00- $25.00/hr.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline: October 17, 2021. Position open until filled.
This position provides support to the Deputy Director to meet the organization’s administrative, accounting and human resource policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes bi-weekly payroll.
- Manages communication and form preparation with employee benefit providers. This would include health insurance, 401 (k), worker compensation, COBRA, FMLA paperwork, creditable coverage, conflict of interest, W9, credit applications, etc.
- Creates and/or reviews purchase orders in the accounting system. Reconciles purchase orders to packing slips, invoices, and confirms the appropriate documents have been date stamped if inventory related. Prints checks and matches to the proper invoice to be signed and mailed out. Other basic accounting duties may be assigned.
- Is familiar with SSE’s employee handbook and updates policy as needed in conjunction with the Executive Director and prepares memorandums outlining and explaining Handbook policies.
- On-boards new employees and assists with completion of the required forms. Provides employees leaving our employment with exit paperwork.
- Complete the bi-weekly 401 (k) report to be submitted to Bankers Trust.
- Input the department and classes into the bi-weekly ADP payroll report. Create a bi-weekly salary report.
- Coordinates staff team-building events and training sessions.
- Posts position openings with agreed-upon agencies, corresponds with and forwards applicant information to managers. Helps determine appropriate outreach mechanisms for recruiting new employees, as needed.
- Assists with SSE’s year-end audit by compiling required documents and being present to answering questions from auditors, as needed.
- Prepare year-end Federal and State forms as required as well as biennial state reporting.
- Arranges detailed travel and lodging plans for the Executive Director, Board members and other staff, as needed.
- Manages expenses and purchase orders for the Executive Director, as needed.
- Researching compensation standards set by industry and governing bodies in order to create salary structures and administer employee benefits
- Prepare supporting documents and complete SSE’s annual 5500 report.
- Field employee questions and ensure employees follow all policies and procedures.
- Suggest changes in policies and procedures based on employee and company needs.
- Maintains company organizational charts, files, and an up-to-date employee directory.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Deputy Director – Administration.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
- Volunteers - Meet with volunteers to explain Volunteer Policy and retrieve signatures.
- Board Meetings – Assists in creating agenda and preparing board materials as needed. Helps organize and prepare for meetings and arranges board meals, as needed. Takes and reviews Board Meeting minutes. Maintains the board meeting binder with filing updates of meeting minutes and other paperwork.
- Helps seasonally as needed in order fulfillment for seeds and transplants in the Seed House Department seasonally, along with the rest of the staff. Occasionally helps cover LGVC staffing or in the garden, as needed.
- Proficient with office software such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Accounting and Payroll software programs.
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Punctuality and dependable with a strong work ethic
- Confidentiality required
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent communication skills and ability to focus and prioritize
- Ability to lift and carry boxes of materials (up to 25 lbs).
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- An Associate’s degree in business, or related area of study, or 3-5 years’ experience in the Accounting, Administration, and/or Human Resources field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.